Stromberg's or Cackle Hatchery?

bleechme

In the Brooder
9 Years
Jun 4, 2010
Hey all, I just received Stromberg's catalog and I have been wanting some Old English Bantams, possibly Phoenix, and maybe some more Cochin bantams. Has anyone ever bought these kind of birds from them? If so and if you guys have pictures can you guys post some up so i can see what i will get if I order from them?

I also have the same question for Cackle Hatchery.

so in the end, what is better, Stromberg or Cackle Hatchery? Sorry I've never ordered from hatchery before so I just wanna know.

Last edited:
Sorry,I never ordered chickens from Strombergs but I did order a dozen quail eggs from them and they sent me an extra 5.They were very nice and shipped on time.

Quote:
Strombergs doesn not hatch any chicks, they are a middleman. I never ordered from them cause they are pricey, why should I pay the middleman?

I did ordered from Cackle twice in last few years and I was very pleased with quality and delivery of their birds.

They have an above average reputation for hatcheries in general on this board.

If Cackle has your birds I'd order from them, if not than you decide, it is your money.

I will order again from Cackle this season, their prices are resonable and they do not charge you extra fees, and "quarter box" charges for every breed you order like for example Ideal Hatchery.

Strombergs gets their birds from Urch & Turnland Poultry. I would contact them directly because they have good stock. You can search for some threads on here and find their email.

I saw one of their catalog scanlets on a thread here and they sell each chick for $6? how come they are olny $3 on Strombergs? unless they don't get their chicks there anymore...

Strombergs is a middleman. However their prices are a bit higher, because they do not charge shipping. Shipping is included.

I ordered 100 pheasants from them last year. All showed up alive and well.

I have never ordered chickens from them though. First time i ordered hatchery chickens was this year, and I got them from McMurray.

Cackle

They always ship great chicks, if something is wrong with the hatch they will let you know so that you can sub, get a refund or wait until next hatch.

Ahh, what to chose! lol, does anyone have examples/pictures of their adult Old English bantams from Crackle and Strombergs so i can compare?

I just got some eggs and chicks from Urch and if he is supplying to Stromberg's, someone is cutting their prices because Urch charges $6 per chick. Also, Stromberg's carries quite a few breed's that Urch and Turnland don't even raise. So, they are getting them from elsewhere as well or the breeders have changed for them.

cackle has always been good to me. A few years ago I ordered 50 chicks, but they got delayed by the postal system--I forget why, but it was not cackles fault. However, they refunded me all my money, even though 15 of the chicks survived and sent me a LOT of extras on my next order. I have been surprised by the quality of some of their breeds as well.

Back
Top Bottom