Struggling 3 week old chick - Odd thickness on nasal/beak area

Pixijayne

Chirping
Jun 13, 2015
This chick has had a few issues and I did think we were on the home stretch but .. Im not so sure now.

Its had a 'bad eye' right from the get-go and I have been wiping it 2x a day with sterile water. It looks dry and dull till I wipe it over, once its done it looks quite bright.

I was thinking all my wiping had taken the baby down from around its eye so I didnt pay much attention to the balding look, around the bad eye.

Then today I was taking some pics to post to see if anyone can guestermate gender and from zooming in I have noticed its got this funky thickening going on at the back part of its beak. Also, the corner of the mouth isn't looking the same as the other side.

Might be a sinus infection. Treat the eye with Triple Antibiotic ointment (the kind with no pain reliever in it). Wash the eye first with human saline eye wash, then apply the ointment.. Do it twice a day. And then start the chick on antibiotics..water soluble is easiest, Oxytet might still be available in feed stores, 2 tsp per gallon...or Gallimycin. Or injectible Tylan works too if you can find that. Don't delay.

I did start an antibiotic cream but it just attracted all the dirt to its eye so I stopped.
Im in Australia and I can only find the triple C stuff ... is that good enough or do I just bite the bullet and go to the vet .... just worried about the cost if its a roo that Im not going to be able to keep ... *sigh*

Last edited:
Not what I was talking about really, but it might work. Since you are in Australia, I'm not sure...I can't tell what the ingredients are in that stuff you have pictured. You would need to figure out the right dosage for the chick. You might want to just try calling the vet...sometimes they will give you some help without you having to bring the bird in. You could ask the vet if that stuff will work, or maybe where ever you bought it might know.

I rang around the local vets and they want around $70 for a consult then medication on top of that .... even my regular vet was in the $70 zone ... this little one may end up being a roo and I cant keep any roos atm.

Back
Top Bottom