Struggling to Zip?

Chick is turning but not cracking. I’ve removed some of the egg. Her beak is under that darker area on the left. Should I keep going?
You can remove a bit more following the zip line. I would remove to the right of th beak if you are looking at the photo. If the membrane is getting dry (turns yellowish brown) you can put some bacitracin ointment on it. If you do not have that, others use coconut oil, though I have not.
If you see any active veining, stop. it is also best to leave the last bit for the chick to push out if possible. They need to do this to unfurl their feet and strengthen leg muscles.

You can remove a bit more following the zip line. I would remove to the right of th beak if you are looking at the photo. If the membrane is getting dry (turns yellowish brown) you can put some bacitracin ointment on it. If you do not have that, others use coconut oil, though I have not.
If you see any active veining, stop. it is also best to leave the last bit for the chick to push out if possible. They need to do this to unfurl their feet and strengthen leg muscles.
Thanks - the only brownish yellow is the spot near the hole seen in the picture. I’ve removed more of the outer cap and there appears to be no veining. Very dry. She is chirping loud and clear. But struggling to get out.

Follow the line a bit more, leaving about 1/4 to 1/3 of the shell still connected. See if that is enough for her to push out the rest on her own.

Follow the line a bit more, leaving about 1/4 to 1/3 of the shell still connected. See if that is enough for her to push out the rest on her own.
Have removed about 1/2 to 2/3. When she pushes the rest of it shows the crack as if the top is about to give way. She can’t seem to push hard enough. 🤷‍♂️

Have removed about 1/2 to 2/3. When she pushes the rest of it shows the crack as if the top is about to give way. She can’t seem to push hard enough. 🤷‍♂️
Sorry I was not available for a bit. If she is not out, you may have to help her the rest of the way. Be prepared to do some interventions if needed, like tape shoes or cup therapy.

Sorry I was not available for a bit. If she is not out, you may have to help her the rest of the way. Be prepared to do some interventions if needed, like tape shoes or cup therapy.
I ended up helping her out. She was ready to come out, membrane absorbed. Issue was it had dried and stuck to her back so she couldnt rotate. My concern is if she will gain the strength to walk.

Attachments

• 83C5E111-647A-46E1-B7AD-CBB29F6E6224.jpeg
    83C5E111-647A-46E1-B7AD-CBB29F6E6224.jpeg
    284.9 KB · Views: 6
I ended up helping her out. She was ready to come out, membrane absorbed. Issue was it had dried and stuck to her back so she couldnt rotate. My concern is if she will gain the strength to walk.
Give her a chance, put her back in the incubator and let her get completely warm it may take her several hours before she even tries to walk. You may have to help her with some orthotics. It isn’t as hard as it sounds and many good threads BYC to help you with it!
😊

Give her a chance, put her back in the incubator and let her get completely warm it may take her several hours before she even tries to walk. You may have to help her with some orthotics. It isn’t as hard as it sounds and many good threads BYC to help you with it!
😊
Thanks so much! Love seeing her out and trying to walk. Looks pretty strong and healthy. Going to try a splint on her left foot a bit later. Other than that I think she’s good to go 💪💪

Back
Top Bottom