Struggling with affordability of coop

I am just finishing a 16x3x5 ft coop/pen. The only materials I had to buy were hardware cloth ($60), metal roofing($60) staples and screws. (OK, I finally had an excuse to get a chop saw!) Anyway, I framed mine from an old play structure and use redwood fence boards from our fence that got replaced. (this is a quail coop so I needed to make the entire thing super predator proof since quail don't go into a house at night. So, I have hardware cloth on all 6 sides (including 4" beneath the dirt) I could easily make an enclosed coop for chickens to roost at night with the fence boards. ( did do an enclosure on 3 sides and top for them to go into if it's windy. (we live in California so I don't need to worry about really cold weather.) The metal roof goes all the way across the top because I wanted it to stay dry inside and provide shade. (I plan to use sand as my bedding. I secured hardware cloth with fence boards on the bottom so I have 6" wood border all around the bottom of the coop. So, I'd say for under $200 ($400 including the saw and saw stand.) I have a very stout coop that's 48sq ft and tall enough for my daughter and me to stand in. If I had chickens, I could use this as their night time home with just a few roosts for them and then let them free range during the day.

I looked at a few pre-fab coops at the feed store and quickly learned they weren't going to provide adequate safety. I looked online at many really rustic and charming coops (which also looked sturdy and safe) made from recycled wood and repurposed pallets. But I didn't have the time or resources to collect all that stuff.

In the end, we went for new supplies from the lumber yard and a carpenter with the skills to put it all together. To this day I have all the receipts in an envelope (I went along and bought them with my Costco credit card that at least gives me a small rebate on my purchases). I still haven't had the nerve to add it all up.

BUT I have a coop that makes me happy as a part of my small suburban yard AND will keep my chickens safe from the hawks, coyotes, raccoons, skunks and neighborhood dogs and cats who might see them less as long-term producers of eggs and more as short-term dinner.

That first egg was expensive. My spreadsheet said it was over $1000. But that included all costs. We are now down to $2.61 per egg. But subtract out the start up cost and we are doing pretty well. Over 500 eggs, 50 pounds of feed every month. the startup cost built a coop and run that keeps the chicks safe. Good luck.

If you are in Detroit check the Pittsburgh Craigslist. there's a guy there selling four by four sheets of high grade plywood for almost nothing. I think it's $4 a sheet for a 4 by 4 piece .very high grade and it looks like he's got hundreds of them.he's located in Detroit but advertising in Pittsburgh..
best Karen

Last edited:
I built a coop for Lucy. I am pretty fearless when it comes to building something. I drew it out, bought materials at Lowe's, and started building. OMG! I had some mistakes and it was a task. Here is a story to give you your laugh of the day.

I have a wonderful solarium, built by my late husband and finished by my son. It is large, 16' x 33'. It is all glassed in, has a concrete floor, a wood stove and a/c. It has 60" French doors, with a 58" opening. But, I digress... I took all of this into account.

The coop was 4' x 8', with a 2' x 4' "apartment". Whatever was I thinking when I bought 2x4's? It could have easily been constructed with 2x2's. The roof was bigger, about 3" overhang on all sides. Still plenty of room to get out of the door.

While reading BYC, I started reading about chicken tractors. Aha! Perhaps I can figure out how to put wheels on the coop so it can be moved. After googling retractable wheels, I knew Lucy's coop needed to have them, too. 10" wheels, four of them, were added. It took me a couple of weeks. I am quite good at drawing plans. Cutting anything with an angle creates a problem. At one point, one end was 48" and the other was 45". WHAT? I put one board inside and the other outside...I had to recut my supports. My big plan was to make one side 42", the other 54". The short side has hinges to open, and a trap door to get to the protected food and water area. The taller side has an entry door. NOTE: I wish I had not been so concerned about saving a few boards and made it taller!

I painted it purple and gold, because I am a Minnesota Vikings fan and my boyfriend is an LSU fan. I lined the apartment and painted everything with two coats. I was so excited and feeling a little full of myself. Until I tried to get it out the door...

I had not accounted for the additional width of the wheels. I did not fit through the doors! I pushed it back in, called my son, and decided to give up for the moment. He came and looked it over and told me that I had additional support on the wheels that could be eliminated. I hugged him and was so excited! I made the changes and was able to get it out the doors! I left it by my screen porch, which had been Lucy's sleeping place. There was hay on the floor and a nice pet carrier that she slept in. She chose to lay her eggs on the front veranda on the loveseat...

Things I would change: use 2x2s instead of anything bigger: use solid wheels because pneumatic tires go flat: built it tall enough to walk in: measure twice or three times and cut only once: be realistic with my expectations. I am a 65 year old retiree. I am not quite as adept as I used to be!

My advice: be fearless: use screws instead of nails, (they can be removed easier): don't get discouraged: measure twice, cut once: take your time and make it an adventure: and have FUN! Be prepared to laugh at yourself! Take pictures!

Attachments

• Coop 1.jpg
    Coop 1.jpg
    74.8 KB · Views: 18
  • coop 2.jpg
    coop 2.jpg
    62.9 KB · Views: 16
  • coop 3.jpg
    coop 3.jpg
    51.2 KB · Views: 17
  • coop 4.jpg
    coop 4.jpg
    54.7 KB · Views: 16
  • coop inside.jpg
    coop inside.jpg
    103.4 KB · Views: 17
  • Coop won't fit.jpg
    Coop won't fit.jpg
    66.9 KB · Views: 17
Last edited:
If you are in Detroit check the Pittsburgh Craigslist. there's a guy there selling four by four sheets of high grade plywood for almost nothing. I think it's $4 a sheet for a 4 by 4 piece .very high grade and it looks like he's got hundreds of them.he's located in Detroit but advertising in Pittsburgh..
best Karen
Im betting you dont mean detroit and pittsburg texas? Might be worth a trip to east texas for a load.:hmm

We build our own coops. If you are handy, the materials don't have to be free just less expensive. We found some tread 4x4 posts a bunch of 2x6x16s and concrete pavers for $30 on OfferUp. All we had to do was go pick it up. Doing this we are able to build strong and lasting coops/runs. My hunny gets huge pallets from his job that we use to build doors and gates. The fencing is important, we invest at the local TSC in hardware cloth to keep predators at bay now, but when we started we informed regular flexible roll fencing with chicken wire for strength and smaller holes. It's time consuming though if you want it right. What you do should fit your time, capability, and wallet.

Back
Top Bottom