Struggling with affordability of coop

The most expensive part of keeping any animals will be their "home" and it is worth it to not scrimp. I understand having a limited budget, so most of my lumber was from building site dumpsters (with permission to pick) or my local lumber yard with their pile of "not so great quality" lumber. (I work at the lumber yard now.) :) Many years ago, I drove to sites where they were building homes, in my jalopy car, and asked for any left over plywood, and they gave me more than I needed to build rabbit hutches and a whelping box for puppies. Just look around and ask, you'd be surprised at how many sources there are.

I'm building a 8x10 and 10x12 run. So far I am $1000 in. But way overbuilding it, like a house. Metal roof solid floor that I painted with garage floor paint. Built treadles and in-wall feeders. I am to the point where I am ready for siding, doors and windows. so I am guessing $650 for that and Then I have trim, electric, auto-waterer and the run so I will be at from $2000-2500 when done. Material is real expensive right now to.

View attachment 1275940 View attachment 1275940
I use prefab coops and love them! Tractor supply right now has some really nice ones on sale. I just bought one for 10 chickens for $300!! An amazing price. Check tractor supply out. Don't be afraid to go the prefab route. I have 4 prefab coops some 5 years old and still going strong. With a little love they make great homes for chickens.
So, what do you think of this one? I am not sure it is actually big enough for 10 fs chickens though? Thoughts?

So, what do you think of this one? I am not sure it is actually big enough for 10 fs chickens though? Thoughts?
Personally, I don't think it's big enough for 10.... maybe 3 or 4, but I like to give my animals room. It also depends if they'll be in there most of the time. That run is quite small, but maybe it could be modified and enlarged? Otherwise, it is eye appealin & cute.

I would say to get creative. If you have an outbuilding like a garage or a garden shed, think of using part of it or all of it as a coop. Craigslist can provide a lot of stuff. Take a week or two and search thru the free stuff first. Then expand to lumber (some builders just want the scraps to be gone. Lumber yards often have a scrap bin that has usable stuff.

I used a plastic prefab garden shed that I was barely using along with some 2x4s that I had sitting around. Found 3 rolls of hardware cloth on CL for next to nothing. Dog kennels placed properly can sometimes work for broody hens to separate them and they can be found pretty cheap on CL. My laying boxes consist of a cat kennel and milk crates with wooden bottoms made from scrap wood.

Home Depot always is throwing away the pieces that come between the wood stacks the are almost a 2x4 by 4 ft. Whenever I am at home Depot they ask me if I need help finding something I always say yes where is the free stuff... I almost always walk out with free building materials. I have built all my coops using pallet and that kind of stuff, sturdy and low cost.
These are called 'stickers' and they are very durable, very hard and totally free. One only has to design with their dimensions in mind because they are not standard and nothing else will fit exactly with them. Note-that is not an attempt to dissuade them being used. Only a caution before you start. Also if you are at the big orange ;) check near the back lumber aisle for 'painted' stuff. It's paint striped either orange or purple most times and it is culled lumber that is reduced in price. Good luck. Check my coop. It was about $75.00 but a lot of hard work

Back
Top Bottom