Struggling with affordability of coop

I bought a 8 chicken coop from tractor supply for around $450. And within a month I ended up spending anoth $500 on building supplies because I did not like my chickens not having room to run and forage. When it comes to my chickens I don't try to cut corners, it pays off in the long run.View attachment 1266881
I also added a tin roof on it.

How was the coop otherwise was it Fair quality. I was looking at this same one but I have a lean to I would use at the end to incorporate more run space. The lean to is 9 x 24 feet with a roof. Does that sound feasible? I’m only looking at getting 3-4 chickens

We were really fortunate to have an older 8'x12' shed on our property that we converted into a coop. We built an 8'x8' run that is 8' tall off the side of the shed/coop. Later I decided to extend the run and added another 8'x8' section that is 4' tall with a retractable roof. For the run area I had about $350 in materials including the sheet metal roof of the 8' tall section. I painted the shed and cut in windows and ventilation and used the leftover hardware cloth over the windows. If you can find a used shed for cheap, that might be the way to go.

Attachments

• IMG_0802.JPG
    IMG_0802.JPG
    782.1 KB · Views: 18
We were really fortunate to have an older 8'x12' shed on our property that we converted into a coop. We built an 8'x8' run that is 8' tall off the side of the shed/coop. Later I decided to extend the run and added another 8'x8' section that is 4' tall with a retractable roof. For the run area I had about $350 in materials including the sheet metal roof of the 8' tall section. I painted the shed and cut in windows and ventilation and used the leftover hardware cloth over the windows. If you can find a used shed for cheap, that might be the way to go.

Funny you have a Chevelle. I just sold my husbands 64 Chevelle Malibu. It was his baby.
I do have a nice shed it’s probably at least 16 x 16 but I would have to have someone cut windows in it for ventilation. My neighbors are great but I feel this is too much to ask them. Maybe I can hire s9meone to do it.
I have plenty of room and like your set up it’s just finding someone to help me with it. My husband was extremely handy built the barns and our new home himself but I don’t have that luxury anymore. thank you

I have 1 foot eaves all the way around but plan on just putting soffit up. I have 3 windows and a metal roof that I left vented for heat.
1/2" hardware cloth instead of the usual soffit materials,
along with gable and ridge vents gives great air flow year round.

I got lucky, house we bought already had a large coop 8'x16', 10' roof, large run, so I didn't have to fight with spouse for $$ on a coop :D
I did build a smaller semi-mobile 4x8 coop with kinda movable 14x50 run, it cost $$. It's movable just takes awhile.
I have one of those plastic totes in a cage on a pallet I'll be building a tractor/broody coop soon.
Something like this but I'm going to do it a little different.
371e7a479b725d7199a2076beaec8cdb.jpg

Should be able to double the length with metal cage, not sure what's up with that ramp or vent? Maybe it's a feed chute? IDK?
Pic gave me the idea anyway, I already have the tote, picked it up free.

I built my last coop using 70% marked down lumber from Home Depot. You can ask what days the mark it down. It's slightly defective in some way but I found plenty to meet my needs. I built a 5ft X 10ft Coop. 8 Ft high for about $300.

Love my coop, I did splurge (I think i paid $900 plenry room for 8 chix) but where I saved money was on my run. I got 2 9x6 dog run I found on Craigslist. One $50 the other $75. Found some barn
20170917_090931.jpg
steel. Using 2x4s to hold it up they've got a solid roof. I flanked two sides of my coop with them and cut an opening connecting the two. Works great as I can separate chickens if need be and I have a nice secure human entrance into each run. I then cut a small hole to allow a secure opening from coop to run. Since then I've woven that fencing plaxtpl into the chain link which has provided shade and security. Finally around the bottom of the run I out roofing tin stuff, about 32" tall, keeps vermin from climbing. (not in photo) Can things break in? Sure it's possible but ive been fortunate, secure and under budget. lol What I learned from my first coop was that cheap isnti always best. This coop is easy to clean, check eggs and everything else. My first cheap coop wasnt worth it. Good luck, have fun.

Back
Top Bottom