Stubborn broody, and integrating my mixed age flock.

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Noymira, Jul 20, 2011.

1. Noymira

Noymira Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 9, 2011
    Chittenden County, VT
    I have a very stubborn broody White Rock, who has been broody for almost 8 weeks now. It started when I first brought our chicks outside into a small pen next to my two hens during the day when they were 4 weeks old. They are now 11 weeks old and out in the big coop. I still have not integrated them with my two 1 year old hens and my other 5 POL hens.

If she's still broody can I introduce her to the young ones? She has not seen the little ones in weeks, but still hasn't snapped out of her broodiness. I would want to put her and the other hen (a Partridge Rock) in at the same time. I have 8 younger chickens, 7 pullets and 1 cockerel; they are getting to be a good size, but are still not fully grown. I have three different pens right now; a full size coop, a smaller quarantine pen and a tractor. I'd love to get everyone into one coop!

Should I introduce the two adult hens first, then the 5 younger hens, or put everyone together at once? Should I wait a few more weeks for the pullets to get bigger?

2. wrldlygrrl

wrldlygrrl Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 24, 2011
    Decatur, GA
    I am awaiting a brilliant reply on the flock marriage idea...I have a really bossy hen in the tractor and a cockerel in the coop...they will eventually have to meet...

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by