Stubborn Fiancee says I don't need more ventilation.

Nimby Chickens

Songster
9 Years
Oct 20, 2010
Central FL
So, it's 90 degrees outside right now. My coop needs a few touches but is largely done. My fiancee built it for me!

The problem is, I want more ventilation. The way he built it there are no windows, no vents, nothing, which in my opinion is asking for trouble. I wanted 2 windows but he said they made 'weak spots'. The only ventilation is the small gaps between some of the wood (1 cm or so) and I want there to be a breeze in there! It's HOT in FL and he thinks I am just being a pain in the arse.

Please give me a post full of replies about how this is not a good idea and I will show it to him. Alternatively if I am being a pain then please let me know.

A6118342-orig.jpg

A822F000-orig.jpg

80DA36C2-orig.jpg
19CB4B20-orig.jpg
DB53E21C-orig.jpg
FA445B35-orig.jpg
BACF2E77-orig.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Windows built correctly are not weak points. but heat in Florida will kill them. and even in winter you need ventilation. See if he would consider a roof vent not just a ridge vent. My coop is on my byc page. It works well in the heat. The only thing I would have done differently would have been to hang the windows upside down, so that they slid down to open instead of up. Heat rises, cool air sinks. and we do get some awful cold winters as of late.

I live in fl too and believe me you don't have enough ventilation in there. Unless of coarse you plan on keeping an ac going in there. Windows would be the best thing this way in the winter they can be closed when it gets too cold.

Tell him if he doesn't want a bunch of suffering, then dead chickens, then he needs to cut some dang holes. Simple as that. You MUST have plenty of ventilation or you won't have chickens for very long, period. An air tight coop holds in heat and moisture and both will promote disease and kill your hens. Think about how they will feel in a swelteringly hot box with no light. You'll be cooking chicken instead of raising them in the summer in Florida with no ventilation. I don't mean to be blunt, but it's really that important!

If you don't ventilate and provide shade, you'll have dead birds even if they have a run. Where you're at the sides need to be as open as possible if not totally wire to allow a breeze to cool and clear the ammonia buildup. People are losing birds all over the country due to heat and most have shaded outdoor runs but the birds still have to go into a hot coop to roost at night and to lay eggs. Sorry if this is harsh but if need be, start cutting and wiring yourself till he realizes this is serious. You do not need to worry about too much air in the winter, it's not a issue for you as the temps don't get cold enough.

Last edited:
Gotta have ventilation. I have four windows in my coop that I am restoring. I was putting new plexiglass on them yesterday, once I had them all covered up and unopened it got hot hot hot in that coop quick. I'm in Colorado and it was only in the mid 80s yesterday. And Colorado is very very dry. With the heat and humidity you have in Florida, you must have tons of ventilation.

You can ask him nicely "honey, is there a skillsaw sized for me?"

And when he asks why, you tell him that your coop MUST have ventilation and you are set on getting it done right away. And you did not want to bother him
smile.png

Make sure you have some hardware clothe to cover your ventilation holes/squares (if you do not put in window) and a staple gun with lots of good staples.

I've always heard (and practiced) that there are two ways to get a man to do something.

1. Ask him to do it. or
2. Tell him to do it.

But if you ask him - don't tell him how... and if you tell him be specific.

Your guys needs some specific telling.

Good Luck!
frow.gif

Back
Top Bottom