StubbornChix!

Dhkoenig

Songster
Sep 21, 2020
Bergen County New Jersey
Oh my gosh you guys must be so sick of me...but okay so....when we first moved here, the house came with four pullets (born March) and a tiny inadequate coop inside a run. They were sleeping on top of the coop in the run. We were picking them up and placing them inside every night all while building an awesome coop that is perfect in every way. The new coop is attached to the old run that had the tiny coop in it. We kept the old coop up for like 4 days and each night placed our girls in the new one. Finally Sunday we took away the old coop and replaced it with the platform that it was on (basically a table) and have ordered an old washer wringer thing for them to play on...but the STILL won't go in their coop to sleep! Even now that we removed the old one that they used to sleep on it's roof! Now they sleep on a perch that we have in the run. So for the past two nights I have had to grab them off the perch after dark and put them in the coop. At what point, if ever, will these girls realize that it is nice in there and outside sleeping is for the birds??!?!~?

Oh my gosh you guys must be so sick of me...but okay so....when we first moved here, the house came with four pullets (born March) and a tiny inadequate coop inside a run. They were sleeping on top of the coop in the run. We were picking them up and placing them inside every night all while building an awesome coop that is perfect in every way. The new coop is attached to the old run that had the tiny coop in it. We kept the old coop up for like 4 days and each night placed our girls in the new one. Finally Sunday we took away the old coop and replaced it with the platform that it was on (basically a table) and have ordered an old washer wringer thing for them to play on...but the STILL won't go in their coop to sleep! Even now that we removed the old one that they used to sleep on it's roof! Now they sleep on a perch that we have in the run. So for the past two nights I have had to grab them off the perch after dark and put them in the coop. At what point, if ever, will these girls realize that it is nice in there and outside sleeping is for the birds??!?!~?
Pictures of the new coop inside and out and the run will help.

hahaha! chickens will be chickens. i think they are doing this because they feel safe in that particular spot its like when they lay eggs they lay where the other chickens eggs are because they know they are safe there. i think if you could lock them into there new coop (does it have a door to stop them from gong into the runner) then that may break them.

Attachments

• fullsizeoutput_7459.jpeg
    fullsizeoutput_7459.jpeg
    654.8 KB · Views: 23
  • 50662C43-1CD3-4800-A95E-3ED517A63497.jpg
    50662C43-1CD3-4800-A95E-3ED517A63497.jpg
    951.2 KB · Views: 23
This was the run with the old coop still underneath it. We took the old coop out after about 5 days, maybe six, after we built the new coop. We left the platform that is the bottom half of the old coop and moved it sideways and put a roost "perch" rod caddy corner. That is what they want to sleep on, that perch and not inside the new coop, though they go in there every day and lay eggs in there etc..

hahaha! chickens will be chickens. i think they are doing this because they feel safe in that particular spot its like when they lay eggs they lay where the other chickens eggs are because they know they are safe there. i think if you could lock them into there new coop (does it have a door to stop them from gong into the runner) then that may break them.
I put them in at night and they don't come back out, so I haven't needed to lock them in, but they don't go in on their own and they don't like me putting them in. They flap like crazy while I try to put them on the roost. Should I put them in before they would normally perch? Like while it is a little light out still?

Lock them up for a few days in the new coop, if there's sufficient space in there to safely do so.
There is probably too much space. It is a really nice sized coop and they love to go in and out during the day and lay their eggs in the nesting box but they prefer to perch outside. I put them in when it is dark and I don't need to lock them in because they don't come back out til the morning, but are you saying lock them in before they perch outside? Like before it gets dark?

lovley chicken coop :love
so from the pictures my understanding is they are roosting on the outside of the RED coop and you want them to go into the red coop at night a sleep? is that correct?
if what im saying is correct then what you need to do is put them in the coop in the late evening as sun is going down and shut the door and leave them in there for a few days with the door shut. after 4 days open it up and let them out.
see what happens. but in the red chicken coop is there a perch in there?
you could also remove the out door perch and then they wouldn't have the option of that roost outside!

Back
Top Bottom