stubby beak, only one nostril

lovescraftin

Hatching
6 Years
Apr 29, 2013

This is Daisy, she is an 8 week old chick with a short upper beak and only half of one nostril. I found her conditiion several days ago. I watched last night as she ran around trying to steal food out of the beaks of mama and her sibling (who is twice her size and has more feather development). We hand fed her, I noticed she can only eat if the food is up high because she cannot pick it up off the ground. I have seen her drink water. She is active, has energy and is social. Other than hand feeding her at least once a day I don't know what to do for her. Her beak was normal when she was born.
My heart is breaking for my baby.

If she can eat up high maybe you could rig up a feeder that would be above head. Just make sure to put some kind of mesh in there to keep her from ever climbing in there. (I saw another thread were that happened it was devastating)

She can only eat if the food is dangling... a feeder up high would not work because she cannot pick anything up. Thanks for the thoughtful suggestion though.

Ok, new suggestion. If you were to go on youtube there was a video of a rehab center with baby morning doves. (I know slightly different..ok a lot different) But they had a container that had like a rubber cover with a hole in it. The bird would have to put its beak in there to get any food. It was technically suppose to mimick a parent regurgitating. But what if you tried that for the chick? So it would have to put the whole beak in to in a sense scoop out the feed with it's entire mouth. Do you think something like that could work? I can't think of much besides hand feeding for it's entire life and I know not many people have the time for such a task. I hope for the best for your chick.

Back
Top Bottom