Stuck in a 'broody' cycle or just plain lazy? (or possibly mental)

knackfarmer

In the Brooder
Jan 8, 2024
We took in 2 young Australorp hens in early April 2023. They were from a neighbours flock and just about at point of lay. We had an existing hen (Kath) and a rooster (Jackie Chan) already in situ and the new girls (Kylie and Dannii) settled in pretty quickly under the tutelage of Kath and JC. Kath passed a month or so after the arrival of K&D, from natural causes. K&D began laying and were delivering up an egg a day from the end of June until both started exhibiting broodiness end October. Since 1 November, they've been essentially staying in their side by side nests (they do EVERYTHING in pairs and are synchronus, which is funny to watch). No eggs under them. I kept an eye for 21 days, and essentially brought them out of the coop for food and water each day (because they were NOT coming out). FF to today (9 January) and while they will, under duress (meaning I scoop them up and bring them out to the wider yard), come out and wander about the property, dust bathe etc., they'll make a beeline back into the nest at the first opportunity. Our rooster is just plain lonely and follows me everywhere now ... and he certainly does not get a moment of lovin' in even when they're out because they don't accept his advances.

Any help, advice, recipes welcome.

I have silkies which are the most stubborn broodies, but by me removing them from the coop a couple of times daily, after about a week they usually quit. The worst ones go to the dog kennel on the other side of the yard. At night, I let them out to sleep in the coop. Next morning, same thing. Usually 4th day is the charm. I've heard of those dog crates working too. Just put them somewhere away from the coop with food/water, and put them back at night if you want. I do that as it's safer.

I have stopped allowing them to go broody as I see how that takes a toll on them. In the winter if they can't go outside, well, that day they can be broody if they want.

Thanks Debbie! Yes, I'd read that silkies are particularly notorious with regards broody beligerance. These girls may identify as Silkies, I should ask them ... ;) We definitely need an alternative pen to sequester them, am working on that logic now. Was thinking I'd separate them for a few days as well, perhaps without their twin they'd reconsider keeping up this behaviour!

You need to break them properly, they seem to be too stubborn to quit with you just taking them outside. Look up the broody jail method, there's a lot of information on that both here on BYC and on the internet in general. They've been broody for too long, it's really not good for their health to drag this out so long.

Back
Top Bottom