Stuck quail

Discussion in 'Quail' started by BoutrosBoutrosGalusGalus, Mar 5, 2012.

1. BoutrosBoutrosGalusGalus

BoutrosBoutrosGalusGalus Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 18, 2011
    san jose
    Well in each of the last couple of hatches I've had a chick who seemed to have zipped a good amount but then couldn't go much further. This is after a chick was successfully hatched on its own. We peeled them out after waiting for 16+ hours with no progress. Ones doing great but the more recent one is a little wry legged on one side but doing better every day.

So we did open up the bator to remove a chick each time due to the amount of time the second egg was taking (last couple of batches were 2 eggs each) but tried to be quick and the humidity was pumped up to 60-70.

Is it just that we're drying out the pipped eggs by opening the bator? How long can I leave the hatched quail to cool their heels in there?

2. jbobs

jbobs Chillin' With My Peeps

I leave mine in for at least 12 hours, but they can stay in there for as long as 24 hrs. I try not to open the door much during hatching but you have to sometimes. If you have a harge amount of eggs I would not keep the ones that have a hard time hatching, but if you only have a couple eggs in at a time and want to save as many as possible you CAN pull these chicks out of the shells with some degree of success - the trick is not to pull the umbillical cord out or cause too much bleeding. I find about half of the ones I pull from the shell survive healthily but there are some that bleed too much and either die or can't get up. I usually set my timer at the time of the first one hatching and if there are still birds struggling to come out after 24 hours, I pull them. Thing is these are not great birds to breed from because you don't want to pass on any genes that contrbute to poor hatching.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by