1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Stud service?

Discussion in 'Chickenstocks, Shows, Meet-Ups' started by RevaVirginia, Oct 28, 2009.

1. RevaVirginia

RevaVirginia Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 26, 2009
    Reva, VA
    With Bio-Security as It is. Has anyone had success "borrowing" a rooster to fertilize some eggs to get some pure bred chicks? Pick of the litter sort of thing you see with dogs and cats.

This is something I would say I wouldn't consider even with a quarantine period. Just scared for my girls. My rooster is a BR and have BR, RIR and Black Jersey Giant hens. The RIR rooster I had was absolutely a leading candidate for the much maligned "Terrorist of the Year" award, so he's gone. My Jersey Giant is sadly gone to a predator. So I'm just trying to consider my best options.

Thinking probably the fertile egg route.

2. chickenlady

chickenlady Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 28, 2007
    Stillwater, NJ
    If you borrowed a rooster for fertilizing your hens, you could keep him in quarantine and use artificial insemination. You would not need to have him for too long. The two birds never even have to meet, you just need them close enough that you could transfer the 'love juice' in a timely manner. [​IMG]

3. gypsy2621

gypsy2621 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 29, 2008
    New Hampshire
    I have borrowed a rooster from a very close friend, I also knew/know her flock is disease free.
    best thing I could suggest is either buying a nice rooster or as mentioned artificially inseminating the hens.

4. lauralou

lauralou Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 10, 2007
    Central Virginia
    I think it would be simpler and safer to buy some fertilized eggs of the breed you want.

5. ArabiansR2Cool

ArabiansR2Cool Chillin' With My Peeps

I'm not sure that the market would be very big, but what about transporting semen? I'm thinking in a similar fashion as horses and dogs. Then you would just do AI on the hen.

6. chickenlady

chickenlady Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 28, 2007
    Stillwater, NJ
    Not sure the semen has the 'shelf life' that other animals do. Think its one that needs to be done within minutes of extraction.

7. polish101

polish101 Out Of The Brooder

Sep 15, 2009
    North central
    You could just use a rooster from anyone thats shows because you have to get tested in order to show!

jeremy

8. SundownWaterfowl

SundownWaterfowl Overrun With Chickens

Quote:There is still lots of other diseases that the chicken could have, or carry. Like MG, Corzya, etc.

I would just go the fertile hatching egg route.

9. roostercruiser

roostercruiser Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 28, 2009
    Reelsville, IN
    With all the other larger animals they use an extender to keep it alive. Chickens give so little I think even with the extender it would have to be with in a 24 hour period. AI would be the best way to go but you would have to live close enough to the person and just bring the rooster to them and hope he isn't stressed out to much that he will produce.

10. RevaVirginia

RevaVirginia Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 26, 2009
    Reva, VA
    Whoa!, AI would be a stretch but worth reading up on. Off hand, it seems too clinical for me but maybe not. I'll read up on that....thanks

My Concerns Jeremy....arise from something I read about chickens and their environment they develop resistances/immunities but carry those baddies to a your "environment" and your chickens haven't had the opportunity to develop the resistances. Put in my terms this might not make sense but generally speaking it is what I got out of what I read.
    [​IMG]
    Quote:

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by