Student Built Tractor Progress--FINISHED! pg 3

Kind of like wearing tighty whities instead of boxer shorts?
lol.png

Make sure that door overlaps something so those little coons can't stick their paws in there and pull it apart. Whatever it takes to make that door secure--another fastener thingy (can't think of name, early dementia).

Quote:
That looks like it's coming along well! You should be able to house several chickens comfortably in your new coop.

If I were you, I would make two roosts above and in the same direction as the nest boxes, and make droppings boards to set on top of the nest boxes to catch the poop. It'd make your coop easier to keep clean.

Second, what sort of joists or other supports do you have under the OSB floor of the coop. In at least one picture it looks like the floor's sagging a bit. And with time, I'd think the OSB would even be more prone to do so. If you don't have it already, you might want to put a couple 2X4 joists to better support the coop floor.

Keep up the good work!

Well now, why didn't I think to get the kids at the high school to build my blasted tractors? What a grand idea!
And they are doing a great job!
thumbsup.gif

Thanks for all of the advice! Keep it coming!!! I have passed the information along to the students.
They are planning to re-do the roost to make it a bit wider. They can't put it in the direction over the nest boxes because of the door but I wish that they could!
The floor is sagging and they have a plan to add braces to it. They are also going to add some braces to the run so that when it is moved, it won't torque and loosen the wire.
They are also planning to frame around the inside of the door to keep those nasty critters from pawing at my chicks! We don't seem to have lots of coons...more possums, skunks, bobcats, bears, and coyotes in my area. I think that it will be safe from everything but bears. Hopefully they'll stay on the mountain this summer instead of wandering around! I have also has a serious discussion with my two outside cats and the neighbor's cat. I hope we have reached an understanding!
roll.png

The students and I really appreciate all of your help! They are so proud of this tractor and want to make it the best! They have already recieved "orders" for more from other faculty members!!! This was supposed to be a one-time project. I guess the others see what a deal this is--less that $150 completed.
big_smile.png

I think it's a great project.I love seeing the students do projects like this.
I think Shop,Industial Arts,Tech, whatever they keep changing the name to,is the most UNDER-rated class in the schools.I wish they would put more into it.Most every student at some point after graduating looks to buy or rent a home for raising a family.They probably will have to either repair or maintain their homes a majority of their life.I'd rather see more put into these skills rather than the sports thing.It's a shame to see people depend on hiring out for many easy repairs. Will

I was just wondering what you're doing for ventilation. Maybe I just can't see it in the pictures?

I bet the kids are really proud of their project. Who gets to keep it?

Great Job students....South Carolina right next door to me....how about coming over to my place in Rabun County Georgia...I have a few chicken projects you can work on....I'll buy the materials and feed you!
smile.png
smile.png
smile.png

Looks great, but it looks like its sagging through in the middle. Can you add a 2x4 for braceing right where the door is, on the other side where the hole is for the chickens to enter the run and maybe down the middle . The added weight of the birds , litter and food and water will make it even worse.Also you might want to consider adding a vinyl floor to it or water proof it . I dont think this kind of board is well suited for moisture. Adding the floor will help you to keep it clean.
Sorry for critizing the coop a bit espec coming from a woman, but I am the one in our house to handle this kind of stuff(woodworking and putting furniture together.
And last but not least you should add a windowand some sort of ventilation to the coop . You can open the window in the summer to allow the circulation of air and it will let light in. Maybe you even could add a light for the winter time.

Last edited:
Thanks for all of the help!!!

The ventilation should be good around the sides at the roof. There is a good gap there on both sides and on the front. There are braces added to the floor but the vinyl idea is a great one! I will update pics soon.

The coop is being built by students for me...I get to keep it:D They aren't my students. They are students in an agriculture structure class.

Back
Top Bottom