If you do have to put her down I highly recommend sending her body to your state lab for a necropsy so you No for sure what you are dealing with and know how to move forward.

Will she eat or drink for you? When my hen was confined to a recyling basket, I fed her moistened chicken feed, scrambled chopped egg, bits of tuna, plain yogurt, and canned cat food, all with a little extra water since she would not drink. In the Mareks article, there is a section on various diseases that can mimic Mareks. A vaccine for Mareks is best given to day old chicks. If she has Mareks or the old chicken who died in June had it, they are already exposed to the virus. Some chickens may have immunity, and not all chickens who have symptoms die from it. There are mild strains and more severe ones.

Will she eat or drink for you? When my hen was confined to a recyling basket, I fed her moistened chicken feed, scrambled chopped egg, bits of tuna, plain yogurt, and canned cat food, all with a little extra water since she would not drink. In the Mareks article, there is a section on various diseases that can mimic Mareks. A vaccine for Mareks is best given to day old chicks. If she has Mareks or the old chicken who died in June had it, they are already exposed to the virus. Some chickens may have immunity, and not all chickens who have symptoms die from it. There are mild strains and more severe ones.

she has still been eating and drinking, but it seems more of a struggle for her today. She has had pretty reasonable droppings so far, as well. I’ve not given up yet, but I also don’t want to let her suffer...

If you feel at any time that she is suffering, I would think about putting her down. My hen was eager to eat several times a day, and seemed to enjoy company. She also could scoot around her basket to lay on clean bedding. Each case is different, and I was so glad that I helped her live long enough to recover her balance. She walks all over an acre of land today, sometimes with a little wobble, but she is pretty fast.

Most state vets will accept a refrigerated body M-F, so timing is important if you need to take the body or ship it overnight. Check with them about sending a prepaid shipping label for Fedex or UPS overnight shipping.

If you feel at any time that she is suffering, I would think about putting her down. My hen was eager to eat several times a day, and seemed to enjoy company. She also could scoot around her basket to lay on clean bedding. Each case is different, and I was so glad that I helped her live long enough to recover her balance. She walks all over an acre of land today, sometimes with a little wobble, but she is pretty fast.

Most state vets will accept a refrigerated body M-F, so timing is important if you need to take the body or ship it overnight. Check with them about sending a prepaid shipping label for Fedex or UPS overnight shipping.

When I went out to turn the lights off in the barn where she’s at, she was sitting the most normally I’ve seen all day. She certainly can’t perch, but she had her feet squarely underneath her , comfortable appearing, so we’ll give her a bit more time. We have a 13 lab who’s had a spinal injury for 5 years, so we are well-acquainted with rehab, but as you said, every one is different. Our girls are pets, so if we can rehab her, we will! I just hope we get a chance. If not, hopefully we can stave off anyone else’s illness.

You guys have both been helpful; thank you so much. I will keep you posted!

We put Yara down today. She seemed to be having some respiratory distress, so she was humanely euthanasized. She’ll be going to Cornell for necropsy. Thank you guys who helped along the way. Once we get those results I’ll let you all know. Thanks again.

Back
Top Bottom