Stumbling/Dizzy Cockerel

WyandotteWoman

Hatching
Jul 19, 2016
Hi everyone!

In March I purchased BLRW straight-run chicks. I've ended up with 6 pullets and 2 cockerels (I think) Tonight, I went into their run to move them into the coop so they could graduate to being free range, however, one of the boys (the smaller, less dominant, more apt to peck me) of the two kept stumbling and falling over as if he was drunk and looks like he is shivering.

They were previously in a small coop I bought from Costco inside of a large covered dog run. They could go in and out of the coop as they pleased, but being that it was so small, they would just sit beneath the inside and roost on the top at night.
I check on them multiple times per day, and he would always be sitting beneath the coop. I assumed he just preferred that space because he always had another hen or two hanging out with him under there.

Tonight he ate some food (still on Medicated chick feed), I couldn't get him to drink any, but his poop was normal looking.
He doesn't look to have wry neck. He can stand for a bit, but when he tries to walk it is heavy and slow (I hope that makes sense).
I haven't introduced any new birds to them. I did have older chickens that could go near the cage; I gave them away last week, but none had any issues respiratory or otherwise that I noticed.

I have never had a chicken with any problems in the 4 years I've been raising them. I would just like any input or advice on what I could do, or what direction I should do research.

I will post a picture of him in the morning, and I will try to get a video of him as well.

Thank you all in advance! Please let me know if I can provide any more information that might be helpful.

PS: I only like to keep one roo so if anyone is looking for one that can come pick him (if it is for sure a him) up in person (assuming he ends up healthy and can pull through whatever is going on) he is going to be up for grabs at no charge. I'm located in Roseburg, OR.

Welcome to BYC.

Was they vaccinated for Marek's?

A video of his actions may be helpful.
Was they vaccinated for Marek's?
Any possibility he could have eaten anything rotten/moldy?
Any other symptoms, coughing, sneezing, swollen face, etc.?

Separate him out so you can monitor his food/water intake and observe his actions.

You may want to treat for Cocci just in case he is suffering from an overload. You can treat with Corid which can be found at you local feed store.
Dosage is 1 1/2 teaspoons Corid powder per gallon or 2 teaspoons of 9.6% Corid liquid per gallon
Give for 5-7 days - make sure this is the ONLY water available during that time period. Mix a fresh batch at least once a day.
After you finish treatment offer some poultry vitamins and probiotics/plain yogurt.

Cocci info with video:
http://www.easychickenry.com/coccidiosis-in-chickens.html

MAREKS
https://www.backyardchickens.com/a/the-great-big-giant-mareks-disease-faq

MAREK'S VIDEO

Back
Top Bottom