stumbling falling chicken!?

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by scooby, Feb 7, 2014.

1. scooby

scooby Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 29, 2008
    sevier valley,utah
    Ok i went out this morning to feed and water the chickens and realized that my big roo was walking like a drunk and then he had a hard time jumping back into the coop then after i filled there hanging food dish he was getting trampled and knocked down by my few girls i have left and so he just stayed down. so i i took some hand fulls of food and threw it to him and he was eating, then i poured the water in the dish and put it right next to him but he still wouldn't take the effort to drink. but i think he was pre occupied with the food.......O and he would gobble some food up then pause for a short second, beak slightly open as if he was winded. anyways what does this sound like and what do i do? he is a 3 yr old roo that was hatched here by his mamma. I have actually had quite a few chicken deaths this yr, way more then usual. but i just figured that was because they where old it was most of my originals from 6-7 yrs ago....but we did discover a young rir dead about a month ago, thought maybe it was cause of winter we usually always loose one or two in winter.....O also I have to admit the coop was not cleaned in the fall as usual life got caotic for a bit and it never got done.... could that contribute? I started with 9 this yr and am down to 5.... 2 of them being hatched in summer here. anyways and ideas would be greatly appreciated........ what does this sound like...........O ya and all all the other chickens look fine, no stumbling or falling normal appetites and drinking habits as of right now!!!

2. scooby

Jun 29, 2008
    sevier valley,utah
    went out again to go check and he is still in the same spot that he had fallen down this morning but is still alert clucked at me a bit.....what should i do......is holding head up fine....

3. scooby

Jun 29, 2008
    sevier valley,utah
    On another note is it safe to bring him in the house w/ the other pets and kids? I have no where else to "quarantine" him except in rabbit cage inside the house right now in the living room.......is it safe for the rest of us?

4. scooby

Jun 29, 2008
    sevier valley,utah
    Brang him inside, he is eating alot..... ate 3 scrambled eggs some scratch and some cat food all this morning, he is standing and turning around in his pen and cleaning himself.......Is also drinking water w/ electrolytes probably drank about 8-9 oz since late last night................and I saw him kinda stretching his legs this morning also...................any ideas about what happened...........

I also cleaned out the whole coop couldn't de-sanitize it cause my spray stopped working but I completly took out all litter scraped it all out, bleached water bucket, put up new roost and trashed there old nest boxes...then put new shavings in it......think that will help?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by