Stumbling Hen

AnnaGrace

Hatching
6 Years
Dec 11, 2013
Missouri
I have a five month old pullet that we noticed started stumbling on Saturday afternoon. She stretches up to walk only on her toes and walks with her legs extended, but when she lays down she pulls them in and folds them. She ate on Saturday and Sunday, but hasn't ate as much in the last two and a half days. We've given her scratch, corn, scrambled eggs, and bird seed (which gets her excited enough to eat). She still drinks, and upon my uncle's advice my mom put Duramyacin-10 in her water on Monday.

Saturday I looked her over and couldn't find any sign of injury- internal or external- except that her left leg joint seemed to be looser and lower than the right. We thought that maybe she got caught on something and dislocated her leg at first, so I massaged both leg joints and stretched them out and put them back into alignment, and she didn't limp so much after that. I though she would only be in overnight, so I kept her in my room, but the next morning she was back to the same thing so we knew that wasn't it. She's been inside since then.

I've looked to try and figure out what's wrong with her, but I don't know enough to come to a solid conclusion. Other than the legs, lack of appetite, and slight diarrhea (that smells awful), she acts completely normal. We have her inside in a spare bedroom with a rooster recovering from pneumonia, and they just talk to each other all day.

Here she is leaning against the wall of her tub:

Sorry about your little girl, can't be of any real help, mostly bumping in case somebody else might chime in. Does she seem to be getting any worse? Has she been vaccinated for Mareks? Do you have other chickens her age? Vitamin deficiencies seem to cause a lot of weird problems in birds, maybe try some Poly-Sol or something?

Last edited:
I have 5 others her age and they are all fine. I never vaccinated for mareks because I didn't know about it, but I wish I did.
My rooster I had inside is back out with his hens. Not completely sure what he had, but we just call it pneumonia. Gurgling when he breathed, build up of fluid in his lungs. Gave him a shot of noromyacin, and he was better the next day. He's also from a different coop, about 250 feet away from my girl's coop.
I don't have anything that sounds exactly like Mycoplasma but we've treated them all for a respiratory infection just in case after my roster fell ill. She doesn't have any blisters, and she's not getting better or worse.
Where would I buy Poly-Sol?

Back
Top Bottom