Stumbling walk during heavy molt?

maadroj

Songster
May 25, 2019
A few of my females are going through a heavy sudden molt. The one who has it the worst is walking very unsteadily, like she's intoxicated--sometimes sideways, sometimes backwards, sometimes normally, sometimes like she's dodging an invisible threat. It doesn't look like she's getting picked on. About two days ago, her back was largely bare, but yesterday it was mostly covered in growing feathers and more so today. There's also a large patch like that on one side of her throat. Is it possible she's walking like this because the incoming feathers are painful and she's trying to avoid the discomfort, or a nutritional deficiency from the hard molt? Or is she seriously ill? I've mixed Poultry Cell into the feed (28% protein) and plan to add NutriDrench to the water today.

I'm sorry no one has replied.

I don't know a lot about Quail, but the symptoms you describe I've seen that in heavily molting chickens before. Looks like you are on the right track by giving extra protein and vitamins.
It's a good speculation that incoming pin feathers cause them to walk/act like they are uncomfortable. If that's the case, then the behavior will only last a few days - as feathers come on in, she should act much more comfortable. OR that's what I've seen in a few of my molting chicken hens.

Hope all is going ok.

Thanks, @Wyorp Rock. She's doing fine now, so I guess that's what it was. It's sad that molting can be so hard on them and that she felt so awful, but at least it wasn't something worse.

A few of my females are going through a heavy sudden molt. The one who has it the worst is walking very unsteadily, like she's intoxicated--sometimes sideways, sometimes backwards, sometimes normally, sometimes like she's dodging an invisible threat. It doesn't look like she's getting picked on. About two days ago, her back was largely bare, but yesterday it was mostly covered in growing feathers and more so today. There's also a large patch like that on one side of her throat. Is it possible she's walking like this because the incoming feathers are painful and she's trying to avoid the discomfort, or a nutritional deficiency from the hard molt? Or is she seriously ill? I've mixed Poultry Cell into the feed (28% protein) and plan to add NutriDrench to the water today.
Hi I know this is an old post, but how long was she acting like that? One of my hens is going through her first adult molt and is acting like this. Also did she act like this again during this year’s molt, or was it a 1 time thing?

Hi I know this is an old post, but how long was she acting like that? One of my hens is going through her first adult molt and is acting like this. Also did she act like this again during this year’s molt, or was it a 1 time thing?
I don't remember how long exactly. Too long for comfort! But she did get over it. Sadly she passed last spring, so I can't offer insight on the next molt.

I don't remember how long exactly. Too long for comfort! But she did get over it. Sadly she passed last spring, so I can't offer insight on the next molt.
Awww I’m sorry to hear! So once she was done molting she made a complete recovery from the stumbling? That’s what’s freaking me out. She walks backwards several times before being able to orient herself forward. Not every time but pretty regularly.

Awww I’m sorry to hear! So once she was done molting she made a complete recovery from the stumbling? That’s what’s freaking me out. She walks backwards several times before being able to orient herself forward. Not every time but pretty regularly.
If you wish, go ahead and give her vitamins.
I'd give 400IU Vitamin E and 1/4 tablet B-Complex once daily for a week.

Back
Top Bottom