Stumped on their breed...Name that duck anyone? Buff orphs, mutts??

ScaredOfShadows

Songster
9 Years
May 18, 2010
Semora NC - on the VA line
I bought these as Welsh Harlequins, but obviously thats not what they were - but the guy had so many ducklings he'd ordered that I'm surprised he remembered his breeds (6 or more different breeds) when I got them in Feburary.

Someone suggest buff orphington ducks, but....I dunno, you guys give me an idea, from my understanding they were hatchery ordered, from where I got no clue I bought them second hand from a young guy I'd met a few times at fleamarkets and swaps.

This is Iggy
57920_duckies4.jpg

This one below is the girl, Eeyore (was Igor - but then turned out to be a girl) shes smaller than the drake but i'm not surprised she was smaller when i got her, and was going to be culled cause of her bulging eye, you may or may not notice it in the picture, its large and blue filmed over, I put vasoline or neosporin on her eye atleast once a day, and she's thriving like the rest of them and copes well with her handicap and they all free range.
57920_duckers2.jpg

The two questionable breeds with their magpie broodermates. - Cleo, Pat, Curly, Lyla, and the drake Mo (he has a mo-hawk - crest dont know if you can see him in the pics or not)
57920_ducks3.jpg

57920_ducks2.jpg

Last edited:
She does look a bit like a Buff Orpinton... But different to the ones I have seen out here- But with being young still- after another molt her truer colour may show.. Can you find out what hatchery they came from?? You could then get a better idea of what they may be from what the hatchery actually sells.

They are I'm pretty sure buff orphingtons because the male is already starting to molt into his male colors. His head is turning a steel blue color around the bill and eyes, and I seen alot of pics of the male buff orps with heads like that, so...I think this solves the mystery.
wink.png

The look like buffs.

Also buff babies and gold WH babies look pretty similar....yellow with some dark smudging on the head and around the eyes. Easy mistake to make.

Back
Top Bottom