Stumped on this one

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by swampwander, Sep 21, 2010.

1. swampwander

swampwander Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 1, 2008
    Mims, Fl
    This is my second hen to behave this way. I attributed the first hen's death to the heat. They both start out with an eye problem. One eye, shut all the time, pupil fully dilated. Eating good, then get lethargic. This is where the two diverge. Thought sour crop with the first (her crop was mushy and stank, did three flushes, treated with antibiotic and she seemed better), did well for one week, found her dead on the floor of the coop in the morning. I am concerned there is a disease, but not sure what and can't find anything in the books, taking them out. They free range in the yard, have free access to layena and a flock block, water in several areas, and electrolyte enriched water in one waterer. Weights are fine up until the very last. The first hen was a loner, two years of age. The second sometimes loner, three years of age. All from hatchery stock and vaccinated for Mareks. Any thoughts?

2. swampwander

Oct 1, 2008
    Mims, Fl
    Anyone??

3. ranchhand

ranchhand Rest in Peace 1956-2011

Aug 25, 2008
    SC
    I'm stumped too, not ignoring you though.

4. write2caroline

write2caroline Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 21, 2009
    Jacksonville
    I am wondering if they got into something moldy?

I am also wondering if something like a sting lowered their immune system and the rest was secondary infection issues?

I don't know. I wish I could help.

How are the rest of your flock?

Caroline

5. swampwander

Oct 1, 2008
    Mims, Fl
    The rest appear fine. There has been a gap of a couple of weeks between the girls getting this and a coop cleaning after the first died although no sterilizing.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by