Stung by bee

chickenlickens

Chirping
Apr 20, 2021
One of my girls has been stung by a bee and her eye looks quite sore; happened approx. an hour ago. Is there anything I can do for her? She seems okay otherwise.

Attachments

• IMG_7744.jpg
    IMG_7744.jpg
    67.8 KB · Views: 95
  • IMG_7735.jpg
    IMG_7735.jpg
    88.4 KB · Views: 9
I’ve never heard of a chicken being stung by a bee! :thI would do what the others suggested! Hopefully she recovers soon!❤️🐔
It can happen, had a friend bee keeper that had a rooster that was bothering the beehive at it's entrance and the bees all attacked it, the poor rooster of course didn't make it.
But then from my experience there are chickens that know of natural risks and live in peace with bees, for example our chickens. We have bees and chickens, enough space for both of them and our chickens might pass by the hives but they don't bother each other.
It is a fact that a bee when molested won't look for the guilty party, but will just take it out on first creature that passes by.

Dont go by PoultryDVM: Misinformation.
Use Children's Benadryl if she is struggling to breathe. Dosage is 1/2ml orally. It will prevent the trachea from closing due to the venom and not suffocate. Use it only once in a 24 hour period and dont overdose. If she is breathing normally, there's no need to use the Children's Benadryl. The swelling on the eye will eventually go down on its own.

Dont go by PoultryDVM: Misinformation.
Use Children's Benadryl if she is struggling to breathe. Dosage is 1/2ml orally. It will prevent the trachea from closing due to the venom and not suffocate. Use it only once in a 24 hour period and dont overdose. If she is breathing normally, there's no need to use the Children's Benadryl. The swelling on the eye will eventually go down on its own.
Cool, so that page is "fraudulent" or "malinformed" in all aspects? Just to never reference it again.

Just as a side note, spoke to a physician some time ago and she told me that it's always better to take an antihistamine when stung by a bee (she was referencing to humans, but I imagine it could apply to animals as well) even if you are not severely allergic so that the body doesn't react badly in the future to bee stings (specially with children). Personally since, we've been bee keepers for decades, we get stung rarely (swelling in humans will usually go down within 4-5 days; and bee stings can cure allergies, seen this upfront and personal), but it's only recently (2 years ago) that we got chickens, up until now we've had no issues with our chickens getting stung, but if ever, will post the experience on the subject.

Hope your chicken gets better.

Thanks for the advice. I decided to give diluted antihistamine in water and bathe her face/eye area with some cold water. She is looking so much better today- eye can open properly and only a little bit of swelling.

We have had beehives and chickens for a number of years but this is the first time one has been stung. She seemed to be hanging out right in front of one of the hives when it happened so I think one of the bees probably decided she was in the way/blocking the entrance. Always a first time!

Attachments

• IMG_7754.jpg
    IMG_7754.jpg
    245.3 KB · Views: 9
Cool, so that page is "fraudulent" or "malinformed" in all aspects? Just to never reference it again.

Just as a side note, spoke to a physician some time ago and she told me that it's always better to take an antihistamine when stung by a bee (she was referencing to humans, but I imagine it could apply to animals as well) even if you are not severely allergic so that the body doesn't react badly in the future to bee stings (specially with children). Personally since, we've been bee keepers for decades, we get stung rarely (swelling in humans will usually go down within 4-5 days; and bee stings can cure allergies, seen this upfront and personal), but it's only recently (2 years ago) that we got chickens, up until now we've had no issues with our chickens getting stung, but if ever, will post the experience on the subject.

Hope your chicken gets better.
Agree with antihistamine- I always take some when I get stung. Thanks for your help!

Thanks for the advice. I decided to give diluted antihistamine in water and bathe her face/eye area with some cold water. She is looking so much better today- eye can open properly and only a little bit of swelling.

We have had beehives and chickens for a number of years but this is the first time one has been stung. She seemed to be hanging out right in front of one of the hives when it happened so I think one of the bees probably decided she was in the way/blocking the entrance. Always a first time!
Glad it turned out well :D

Back
Top Bottom