stunted growth

Picco

Songster
12 Years
Mar 14, 2007
NY
I have a bantam cochin chick that is about a month old and seems to not be growing. She's eating, drinking and behaving normally but just doesn't look right. She is less than half the size of the other chicks of the same age and breed. I moved her in with my single penedesenca chick and the pene has now surpassed her in growth even though she is two and a half weeks younger. The pene chick is growing normally so the diet is right but she may be having trouble with absorption. Her feather development is also retarded and she still has most of her down when her clutchmates are fully feathered. She only has wing and foot feathers. The feathers on her upper wings grow straight out giving an angel wing appearance. What is this and how can I treat it?

I dont know the answer but I wouldnt mind seeing a pic.
Im interested in the topic of Genetic mutation, which is why I'm responding.
I wonder if this could be a genetic thing.
I'm sure there are several posabilities including tumors in an organ or on the brain or some other possibility.
If the chick seems healthy you could end up with a strange new chicken.
I hope you get the answer you need.

I was just reading this thread, might be helpful to you.
https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=3358
I have 4 10 week old chickens, 2 are australorps and one of them developed a little slower then the other 3 and is still smaller then the rest and I doint know why. Its an odd chicken but seems healthy. One of these days ill post and ask about it hehe. Anyway, maybe yours is an extreme version of that, but it sounds to me like some basic growth hormone is being disrupted compltely, Not much help; I know.

Again:
Hopefully someone else has a more complete answer.

I am fairly sure that what you are seeing in your chick is what they call "Runting / Stunting Syndrome or Malabsorption syndrome... here is an article on it:
http://www.cccfeeds.com/Documents/Poultry Resources/RuntingStuntingSyndrome.pdf

... I would definitely start this chick on a daily complete poultry supplement like aviacharge 2000 as it ability to absorb nutrients from its feed is compromised... (the syndrome varies in its severity and mortality and your bird might pull through)

Thanks for the help and the links. I will try to find some aviacharge 2000 tomorrow and if I can't I'll order some online. I'll try to post a pic tomorrow as well but I have dial up right now because I'm in the process of a move and that makes uploading photos onto photobucket a major pain. I'll keep updating with her progress.

I forgot to mention one more thing. The stunted chick is missing the last bones and nails on the outside toes, because of this I'm thinking the problem is genetic.

Back
Top Bottom