Stupid broody hen needs to stop being broody...or stupid.

elizabethbinary

Songster
9 Years
Mar 22, 2010
Brisbane, Australia
I've got this weird Araucanathing that the guy SAID was a purebred but I ain't ever seen no pure buff Araucana with no poufs. Anyway, she went broody after only having 4 eggs. Her first four eggs. In some stupid excitement for a broody hen I thought this was excellent and gave her fertile eggs. Which she loved. For 17 days. Then she darn off and left me hatching a bunch of babies for her. Which I kinda sorta expected since she was new to it all.

Well she laid four more eggs and she's clucky again. I've been taking her eggs from her four times a day as well as pulling her out of the nest and destroying her nest. She just rebuilds and steals. She's not even 8 months old and she's on her SECOND clucky!! And she won't back down. She's been like this for three days. I can't order eggs now because of the holidays or heat but I could get some in locally for her in a couple days if she decides to stay - but I'm not sure. Seems iffy.

My odds of her being a good mother are still pretty low, hey? How do I get her off the darn nest and laying again then? I'd rather have tiny blue eggs than an egg-warmer for a month!

Also, photo, for anyone who can tell me what the egg (hahaha I meant to type what the eff... but I'll keep this) she's crossed with:

154308_103247526413371_100001843718990_22160_3291738_n.jpg

she is pretty even though she is being stubborn.
Yeah alot of the recommendations is to put them in a cage with a wire bottom that cools them down. It takes a while to break a broody from what I have read from others posts.

She is very pretty.

Her hormones may get sorted out more in springtime since sunlight helps to trigger hormones in chickens. Maybe in spring see if she's a little more inclined. She'll also be older then and more mature.

Wow. Negative thoughts around.

First, you figured right, she's an Easter Egger, not an Araucana (purebreds don't have tails
wink.png
)

You're just going to have to deal with her weird broody habits. Pullets who are new at it can do a lot of silly things. It isn't stupidity, it is instinct. Humans do a lot of stupid things to, often simply by instinct.

Also, she's broody because she's probably got Silkie or Polish in her. Notice the tophat.
smile.png
What color are her legs?

Quote:
No negative thought, that was the OP calling herself names,
lol.png

She's a beauty, what color are her legs? And yes, cage her where she has no nesting materials at all, sometimes it takes several days or even repeated caging.

Quote:
Haha sorry I was just calling her stupey but I'm not much smarter either! I didn't think to cage her.

I knew she wasn't an Araucana! I KNEW IT! I was like, "This ain't no Araucana I have ever seen before!" Easter Egger hey? I wonder how he got her then because I actually got her from hatch and all her eggmates are actually Araucanas. But they don't look pure either. I had a feeling he was letting his roosters a little more free than I'd wanted. But she's my husband's favourite so we keep her.
smile.png

Her legs are a little blue on top but pink on the bottom. She lays very light blue eggs, larger than my other Araucanas. But she's only laid like 8 hahaha.

So you guys think I should give her another chance to hatch me out some babies or should I wait until she lays four more eggs and gets clucky again? hahahah.

I can't just cover her current nest, for some reason even though we have 5, ALL the chooks/ducks lay there. No idea why but she loves it because she gets to steal their eggs the second their laid Caging this time is best since it's the holidays and day 4 already... next time, eggs again!!!

Back
Top Bottom