stupid chicken laws...

emmanhxo

In the Brooder
11 Years
Dec 28, 2008
It says this about housing animals.
Sec. 5-3. Keeping, housing animals.
It shall be unlawful for any person, whether as owner, bailee, keeper or custodian, to keep and house any animal in any structure built or located within forty-five (45) feet of any building occupied by human beings in the city except upon special permission from the health officer of the board of health of the city. The location, construction, erection and sanitary condition of all such structures shall be made satisfactory to the health officer. Plans approved by the board of health shall be filed with the board before any such building shall hereafter be constructed, altered, extended or moved.

But people keep dog houses within 45 ft of their house. What do you think? I was also thinking it might mean cattle, horses, etc because the thing before it was speaking of those types of pets..

Sec. 5-2. Animals at large forbidden; penalty; impoundment.
(a) No sheep, swine, horses, mules, asses, oxen, cows or other cattle shall be permitted to go at large in any street, highway, lane, alley, common, square or other public place within the city.
(b) Any person permitting a violation of this section shall be punished as provided in section 1-9.
(c) Any person finding any such creature going at large may either impound and detain the same until penalty and cost of impounding shall be paid, or may make complaint against the person permitting such creature to go at large, and the penalty shall be imposed by the court having jurisdiction.

And yes chickens are aloud in my city.

EDIT I've done some more research and now I've read that chickens are not aloud in my 'zone'... Who should I talk to/email?​

Last edited:
Dogs are generally classified as pets and chickens as livestock, that's why the ordnance doesn't apply. Dogs are most likely covered under a seperate pets ordnance.

Since chickens are allowed in your city there should be a seperate ordnance regarding setbacks for coops.

Phyllis

Last edited:
I can't find anything on poultry. I learned that chickens are aloud on a separate website.

Last edited:
Okay, I have researched and it says "Noncommercial raising and keeping of livestock, horses and poultry, the raising of swine or fur animals for commercial use" is not aloud in my zone... ugh.

Back
Top Bottom