Stupid Chicken?

Quote:
Ok, so she does this every time, regardless if you have the egg crate or not?

...JP

usually if i have something in my hand . she must think i have treats or something..

Quote:
Ok, so she does this every time, regardless if you have the egg crate or not?

...JP

usually if i have something in my hand . she must think i have treats or something..

She just may be in love?
wink.png

...JP

I have 2 (lowest in the pecking order) that fly up on my arm when I come in to the run and they think I have treats. It doesn't have to be the treat container either, sometimes it's my mug of tea. If I don't want them flying on me I have to be quick and turn my back. Sometimes it works, sometimes I end up with a chicken on my back.

I have a few that jump onto me or up and down like they are on a trampoline next to me when I come into the pen. They tend to follow me around anytime I am in there. They also tumble out the door when I open it (lol), but then just tumble back in when I wave my hands at them to go back in. Sometimes these same ones peck at the buttons or trim on my clothes, and my shoelaces. One of these is also the one that jumps onto my shoulder and sits there like a parrot while I try to do chores.

when i pull up in the driveway they all come out, or stop what they are doing and run to the gate. they only do this when i pull up in my truck if i am in my brothers truck or any other car or truck they do not do it, i do not know why or even understand it, most of mind do not like being picked up but the golden comets(red stars or red sex links or whatever eles they may be called) do and peck at my boots when they want so special attention

I had one OEGB who would make a ruckus outside the door until you let her in! She learned that if she was loud enough and scratched at the door enough, we would let her inside. She had a vendetta against my brother, and only my brother, and when we would feed her spaghetti (her favorite), she would fling it at him.
lol.png

I usually feed my chickens with a yellow bucket, but yesterday I walked into the coop with a white bin filled with food. For some reason, one of my mille fleurs flew right up into the white bin right as I walked into the coop and began eating the food immediately! I'm not sure how she knew the food was in there, but perhaps she just made the connection that I normally come with food. She had never flown up for food before, either, so. I don't know, not that amazing, but it still impressed me!

I'm sure I have way, way more smart chicken stories than this, but I can't remember them at the moment! I'm convinced that at least certain breeds (especially bantams) are fairly intelligent. Studies have shown that chickens can learn from observing each other, which is a sign of intelligence and abstract thinking.
big_smile.png

Quote:
Ok, this proves they are trainable to some degree.

I have only kept chickens for approx a month now but I have witnessed behavior that lends me to believe they are not the bumbling senseless birds that some make them out to be.

Yes, they seem to be creatures of habit, but they almost seem to enjoy themselves at times as if at play.

Still learning, still observing and really enjoying my chickens. I guess you can say I've become somewhat obsessed. Ain't anybody else around here like that, huh?
lol.png

...JP

Quote:
Hey, I have a Goldie also, she's one of my BOs and also one of my favorites.

From reading your story, I believe that the young chicks such as your Goldie actually may have "imprinted" you as its parent figure. Imprinting can and does happen with very young animals of many different types.

I experienced imprinting with two small feral pigs that I caught many years ago. Without going into all the specifics as to how I acquired them, I will say they were very young piglets, whose eyes actually opened two days after I caught them. I was the first living thing they saw once they could see. They were adorable, intelligent little things that would follow me around & run to me and nestle at the slightest hint of danger.

...JP

Back
Top Bottom