stupid chickens

Keene's coop

Songster
9 Years
Feb 8, 2010
neenah, wisconsin
i'm in wisconsin near greenbay. and yesterday we had 3 storms move in. my chicks are almost 7 weeks old. well yesterday we had 3 bad storms move through. usually when it starts raining, they chickens go inside their coop. WELL. they didn't for the second storm. they went UNDER the coop instead. it was raining ssoo hard with REALLY bad lightening and thunder. my coop is up against our garage (the only place to put it) and it gets rainoff from the roof. me and my 7 year old had to go in the run to fetch them underneath the coop, which i do not fit under. i got so flippin wet, even with a rain coat on and my boots had about 2 inches of water in them.
barnie.gif
my daughter was so scared cuz the lightening was so bad.
th.gif
anybody else get the storms yesterday and had to fetch their chickens to put them away?

Yep the same lines of storms came through north of you.. Before the first storm I gave them some treats in the coop.. All the birds went back out then the rain came..
roll.png

I let them out in the rain if they want to be. I figure they know where the coop is. My birds either hide under some trees, or the overhang on the coop. They do not like to go in no matter what the weather. So I let them.. Yep wet chickens!
(Wow did it rain, we still need it in the northwoods it has been so dry for so many years. All this rain is helping with lake levels.)

ON

A couple of days ago, we got torrential downpours (I'm not complaining - it was better than the 90-100 degree week we'd had before that). Lightning came and went. I looked outside into the run, and there were my goofy 11-week-old pullets huddled together in the rain, soaking wet. They've lived among the other birds for 2 weeks, and they know how to get back inside, so wth? Were they enjoying the break in the heat, or just stupid? Ahhh! When I looked into the coop, there were my 3 big birds - huddled in the door to the run, more or less blocking the entrance. I shooed them into the coop, and went out in the downpour - and lightning! - to collect all the pullets. They seemed pretty pleased to get in out of the rain.

The next day, I looked outside and saw my pecked-on former house chicken standing forlornly in the middle of another downpour. All of the little birds were safely perched indoors this time, but the meaner big birds were once again blocking the entrance to the coop. I carried my girl into the coop and plopped her on a perch. Poor thing - there's nothing sadder-looking than a bird with a bouffant hairdo soaked through.

Back
Top Bottom