stupid days question for shipped chicks

kizanne

Songster
8 Years
Mar 28, 2011
Tallahassee, FL
Ok

Been reading both these forums and Welps recommendations for their Cornish Cross chicks.

People will say through day 5 or 7

Welps page says free feed through day 5 then 12 on and 12 off on the feed.

They have a chart for weight on day 7 and such.

Are people talking about actual 5th day of life or of eating life such as a shipped chick is 2 days old when they arrive for the recommendations and weights and stuff is it
day of birth or day of received / eating

I know once they get alittle older it really won't matter but mine would be 5 days old today so today it matters for me
smile.png

That's one I had pondered myself, because it took our broiler chicks 3 days to get here...that's half a week nearly! So ...I counted their "birthday" as the day they arrived
smile.png

I don't know what the technical answer is...but I figured since these little birds are designed to EAT and they didn't get to eat at all for 3 days...then those days shouldn't count
smile.png

I'm watching though to see what others have to say...

We get all our meaties from Welp, but we don't follow their feeding guidelines. We don't do feed restriction as they say it. Ours get free feed for the first week or so and then are fed once a day until processing. The amount they get each day increases as they get older, but we aren't terribly precise about it. They are almost always out of food each day before the tractors are moved and they are fed again. I would count the day after they hatch as day 1.

Back
Top Bottom