Stupid Goat, Emergency?

DellaMyDarling

Songster
Dec 13, 2017
Mass Hilltowns
Very pregnant Nigerian made a grand escape.
She gobbled a bunch of Chaffhaye and approximately 3 cups (maybe as much as 5, but I'm leaning toward 3) of wild bird seed mixed with BOSS (maybe 15% BOSS)
I'm going to examine the bag and try to determine how much Chaffhaye was eaten. She is only accustomed to eating one of my handfuls per day.

When would you worry?
I only see "goat nibbled a little off ground" versus "goat ate 5 gallons worth and died" on Google.

She will probably be OK. Just a couple comments. One, the best thing I have found for bloat is GasX. It is fast, safe, and effective. Two things I ALWAYS kept in my goat medicine chest were GasX and an up-to-date bottle of clostridium perfingens antitoxin. Secondly, if a goat gets in the grain the first thing to do is to withhold water and then offer as much dry hay as they will eat. An antacid is a good idea too.

Can you be a little more explicit when you say the baby is not doing well? Has it had its first colostrum?

Can you be a little more explicit when you say the baby is not doing well? Has it had its first colostrum?
Cannot maintain temperature and has 0 interest in nursing. At first she couldn't walk.
Mom had cleaned them all up good and I made sure she was still somewhat interested in her when I closed up for the night.
I'm about to go out and check on them.
Yesterday we brought the poorly girl in and got her nice and warm. Gave her SeleniumE and she did chug down 2 of those tiny kitten bottles worth of colostrum. Let her practice walking and was satisfied she was figuring it out good. Returned her to mom. She again immediately ceased being lively, just stands or lies there. Mom does not encourage her at all and focuses on the bouncy boys who have been successfully nursing.
I spent a few hours laying on my side covering the baby in birth fluids, molasses, encouraging mom to lick her, and trying to get baby to nurse by using molasses, nipple switching, so on.
Baby is wearing a mitten sweater, hoping it'll help with temp.
I'm thinking mom sensed something wrong with her and decided to focus on the other 2. Assuming I go out and baby is alive, I'm feeling like she could thrive as a bottle baby but not with mom. I don't want a bottle baby, but it seems immoral to just let the baby die. But, in nature, it seems this would be the natural turn out ?

Back
Top Bottom