Stupid Hawkssssssssssssss

the3ofus+oursixchicks

Songster
8 Years
Apr 22, 2011
alabama
ok me and my daughter were in the house reading our history lesson (we homeschool) i hear the neighbors dogs barking and thought i need to go check in on the girls (they free range). ok went out to check and my dog was coming up through the yard kinda out of breath. i thought ok thats what the other dogs were barking at mine. well i see my 2 buff O's huddled up under some brush and making that ok there is a hawk noise. so i dont see petunia. i started hearing petunia bagocking and went into the woods she sees me and makes a bee line to me. i see a hawk fly up and out somewhat. she ran under the brush with the other 2. i ran the hawk off i thought. came back in the girls were still hid out. i went back out and they were still hid out. the hawk was back and closer. he flew off. i got my girls one by one to put in the pen as i was carrying petunia i noticed some of her feathers were coming out. took her to the pen brought rosey back looked better at petunia and she is missing tail feathers and had a abrassion bout the size of a half dollar. went back got daisey. they all are safe. i brought petunia in to get a better look. she was scared but i think she is ok. i held her some and spread out a blanket. she lay and rest for a few minutes ate some crackers and tuna drank some water. i kept her in for bout an hour. she is in the pen now. they are ok. i know she is sore though. i HATE hawks. i am so thankful i went out in time.

the3ofus+oursixchicks :

ok me and my daughter were in the house reading our history lesson (we homeschool) i hear the neighbors dogs barking and thought i need to go check in on the girls (they free range). ok went out to check and my dog was coming up through the yard kinda out of breath. i thought ok thats what the other dogs were barking at mine. well i see my 2 buff O's huddled up under some brush and making that ok there is a hawk noise. so i dont see petunia. i started hearing petunia bagocking and went into the woods she sees me and makes a bee line to me. i see a hawk fly up and out somewhat. she ran under the brush with the other 2. i ran the hawk off i thought. came back in the girls were still hid out. i went back out and they were still hid out. the hawk was back and closer. he flew off. i got my girls one by one to put in the pen as i was carrying petunia i noticed some of her feathers were coming out. took her to the pen brought rosey back looked better at petunia and she is missing tail feathers and had a abrassion bout the size of a half dollar. went back got daisey. they all are safe. i brought petunia in to get a better look. she was scared but i think she is ok. i held her some and spread out a blanket. she lay and rest for a few minutes ate some crackers and tuna drank some water. i kept her in for bout an hour. she is in the pen now. they are ok. i know she is sore though. i HATE hawks. i am so thankful i went out in time.

Oh, thank (Insert religeon here) your birds are ok!!.​

Last edited:
They are a nightmare right! I mean they are pretty, but stay away from my babies!!!

This is the one in our neighborhood

28956_img_2702.jpg

After I chases him off with a bright yellow broom stick he seems to no longer come around... I was like yeah right buddy like I am going to let them out for you.

I am also having hawk problems, which is very unusual for this time of year. But we are normally buried under several feet of snow this time of year, too. The lack of snow has had the predators running amok.

I am glad to hear your birds were relatively unscathed in their confrontation today. Mine weren't so lucky. Keep yours locked up for a few days because your hawk will be back.

Good luck.

Friday afternoon I heard screaming from the silkies and ran to the end of the yard just in time to see a silkie fall from the sky. Thankfully her feathers broke off in the hawk's talons. I am keeping them in for a bit too!

I was not so lucky. Darn juvie hawk killed my only Faverolle hen that used planning on getting eggs for hatching in spring. She laid her last one today just before, so maybe that's why she wasn't fast enough to get away... Well anyway, put the egg under my silkie who is brooch right now. Crossing fingers....

I SO agree with the title. Just posted on the preditors thread. Had DH come home to interrupt a hawk in its attack of one of my buffs. Hawk flew off and buff ran for the coop while all the other girls ran 15 other directions looking for cover. Georgia the buff is skinned from wing to wing all the way down her back. She didn't appear to have life-threatening wounds unless she has internal damage. I covered her with BluKote. She may need some pine tar on her cause the flock is in lockdown until further notice...and it's supposed to be almost 50 degrees tomorrow
sad.png
. I don't know if the unusually warm and snowless winter has anything to do with it, but I do know that the rabbit hunters claim the rabbit population is way down from other years.
Glad your girl is OK!

Does anyone see their dogs protecting their flocks from hawks?

Last edited:
We had a hawk attack this past fall.
barnie.gif
Hubby thought it was a crow attack (he was outside at the time and the crows were raising a ruckus and swooping all over the flock). He'd come in and mentioned it to me when he came in. I looked at him skeptically 'cuz I've never heard of a crow attacking chickens before. Asked him if he was sure it wasn't a hawk or eagle and he said he didn't see one. I went out and sure enough, the crows are raising all kinds of Cain! Noticed this bird out in the middle of our field - didn't look like one of my chickens, but at that distance?
idunno.gif
So I go out towards it and it's a HAWK on the ground!
ep.gif
Figured since it was just sitting there and the crows were still fussing, hawk must have it's meal. Sure 'nough it had one of my early summer-hatched pullets on the ground! I chased the hawk off before it could actually start snacking on my baby... it was still alive when I got to it and it died in my arms.
hit.gif
No external damage seen, must've all been internal (blood was coming out here beak).

I just started calling, "Here chicky, chicky, chicky!" and my free-ranging flock started coming out of the woodworks and ran right for me! I opened up the big coop door and they all piled in, tripping over one another to get back inside! They ventured out into the covered run about an hour later. After that my flock had to stay in their run for a week. They weren't happy about it tho'. But by the end of that time the hawk decided there wasn't going to be an easy supper and disappeared. Haven't seen it since.

Quote:
At the time of our hawk attack, our dog was behind the only fence on the acreage and that's strictly around the house!
sad.png
Chickens were on the other side of it, out in the pasture. We're gearing up to fence the rest of our property with horse fencing tho'. Our dog will then have a larger yard to patrol. I'm sure he's effective in deterring attacks from predators tho'! Before we built the new coop on the other side of the fence, our flock was kept in the fenced area. No predator attacks when he was outside with them.

We just lost one today to a hawk. DS went out to check on the girls and the hawk flew off. No noise or anything! Of course it was one of my favorites.

Back
Top Bottom