Stupid horse stepped on hens leg. What to do??

CanadianCrower

In the Brooder
10 Years
Apr 17, 2009
I just got home and my daughter informed me that the horse stepped on a hens leg. It's broken and bleeding. She's not putting weight on it and is holding it up. I have'nt looked closely because I am too mad right now and a little afraid to do it. What is the best course of action? How would I go about treating this? Can I treat it or should I put her down?

Impster, the link is no good?

Anyway, to CanadianCrower, isolate the hen in a crate or cage tonight. Tomorrow, ascertain the real damage. If broken and bleeding, I'd either put her down or get her to a vet. Compound fractures are difficult to heal in chickens, though it can be done with a lot of extra care and patience.

Pardon me, please, for asking, but why does this make the horse "stupid"? Accidents happen to us all.

Sorry if the link is not working. It works for me. It is just a BYC search:

Keyword-Broken Leg

in Emergencies

in Topic only

There was a lot of hits, so much reading ahead.

Imp

Well, I have had time to take a deep breath and deal with this a bit. She seems to be putting a bit of weight on it sometimes now. She is in a crate and is eating and drinking.

Oh Ranchhand, I do tend to overreact:rolleyes: Ren Hair;) The deal with it is that this same horse spooked on me and in doing so ran into me and broke MY leg quite severly a year and a bit ago. It has changed my life quite a bit so I think I maybe a bit sensitive to the horse/leg connection. I did go out an apologize to him for calling him names.

Thanks for the links, I'm going to check them out now.

I had one of my hen's leg got stepped on by a horse. I pushed the horse over, this one was lucky unlike my other one. The white Jersey giant escaped with a limp and a sore foot soon she was back to normal. The other Jersey got trampled by a pony or horse, I cried. Wish you luck with your hen.
Check the shank by felling

If a bone went through the skin take it to the vet or
kill it humanely
If It didn't
Option 1
• wrap the leg in some gauze and then vet wrap.
• Wrap it in a straight line in the standing form
• Separate her and keep her calm [ music/ darkness]
Option 2
• Measure shank and chop 2 popsicle sticks
• Stretch out your chickens leg and attach with vet wrap
• Change dressing 1-2 days
Option 3
• Find a bird vet [not very many]
Do
• Clean wounds
• Separate from your flock maybe killing your chicken

Resources
http://answers.yahoo.com/question/index?qid=20080506195106AAAwwmm
http://wiki.answers.com/Q/How_do_you_treat_a_chicken_with_a_broken_leg

I just got home and my daughter informed me that the horse stepped on a hens leg. It's broken and bleeding. She's not putting weight on it and is holding it up. I have'nt looked closely because I am too mad right now and a little afraid to do it. What is the best course of action? How would I go about treating this? Can I treat it or should I put her down?

I dont believe a horses vision extends to the ground beneath there feet.
I'm sure it would not have done such a thing on purpose.
A good question for the hen would be why did she not get out of the way? She certainly could see the horse.
I once had a hen that roosted at night on my horses back in the stall. Something I did not appreciate when it came to brushing the crap off my horse.
Free ranging chickens get them selves in all kinds of trouble.
I hope your hen recovers and her leg is good as new.

Back
Top Bottom