1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Stupid idiot question: How do you house breeder bantams?

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by awesomefowl, Oct 9, 2010.

1. awesomefowl

awesomefowl Argues with Goats

Seramas, so you can do individual matings. Cages? I have a small stall, how would you modify that? Do you have to house all the cocks separate?
    Thank you, sorry this is a dumb question. [​IMG]

2. awesomefowl

awesomefowl Argues with Goats

anybody suggestions? knew this was a dumb question.

3. RedRoosterFarm

RedRoosterFarm **LOVE MY SERAMAS**

I have a 12x12 inside pen attached to a 12x12 outside pen. I have 6 roos and 14 hens all together. I have pen of young from 2 months to 4 months all together and all my younger ones are mixed with other baby chick breeds.[​IMG]

4. kelliepulido

kelliepulido Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 18, 2008
    st.john's mi
    Look at the pix of my cooop it is set up for breeding pens pix under heading remodeling the coop

5. WA4-Hpoultrymom

WA4-Hpoultrymom Never enough coops...

Feb 5, 2009
    Monroe, WA
    My Coop
    I've seen people use rabbit hutches or something similar to that.

I recently built this as my Phase 2 Brooder Duplex, or it could also be used as two breeding pens.

[​IMG]

6. Southernbelle

Southernbelle Gone Broody

Mar 17, 2008
    Virginia
    Quote:I use rabbit cages:
    [​IMG]

7. Sir Birdaholic

Sir Birdaholic Night Knight

It's not a stupid question. You learned something just by asking. That was actually a good question. I had a wooden box that was 2'x2'x6' that they slept & laid in. This was inside of a 8'x16' open air pen. I had 6 hens & 3 roos together & they raised young ones just fine.

8. onehorse_2000

onehorse_2000 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 10, 2010
  9. WestKnollAmy

WestKnollAmy The Crazy Chicken Lady Premium Member

Apr 22, 2008
    upstate SC
    Shoooot! with that big of a stall you could house a lot of breeding pairs, trios and even quads. Seramas are wonderfully small and you can get tons of nifty ideas here.
    Rabbit cages sound great or make your own with J clips and hardware cloth. Stack them as high as you are comfortable with and put them almost to the ground.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by