Stupid JAW! Does anyone here suffer from TMJ or TMD?

WELL.... I will tell you that your jaw isn't going to break and you aren't going to die.
hugs.gif

Even if it is TMJ, it's not going to be something life threatening. I would suggest not chewing on gum until you see your doctor cause it could make it worse for ya.

I'll tell you another thing about me and how it didn't kill me
smile.png

When I was a kid, I had a severe underbite. I had to wear this head thing that wrapped around my jaw and it was uncomfortable and embarassing. At one point, the doctor told my mom that I should have a surgery to correct it. I refused, because I didn't want to change the look of my face or have my teeth wired shut for a month. Over time, as I got older, it corrected itself slightly. If you look at my page and see the pics of me, you probably wouldn't guess that I had that problem. Either way, my teeth pretty much line up, but they're totally off centered from one another. My bite is all funky. As a result of that, I could get jaw pains, ear aches, my teeth have chipped and a whole host of other things similar to TMJ. And here I am - it hasn't killed me.

Once and a while I get jaw pains, but it's usually when I'm stressed and grinding. Since having the wisdoms out, I don't get the popping anymore, but who knows if it will happen again.

So THAT being said - If it hasn't killed me, it's not going to kill you.

The people on the board who have replied are also still with us!
wink.png

p.s. I don't know how you're approaching it with your Grandma, but make sure you are being very business-like about your pain and how you would like to get it resolved. She probably wouldn't respond too well to any kind of whining or complaining (even if you feel it's valid!!)

She saw me bawling.. i didnt go up to her.. and she daid i was being dramatic. She said she has tmj and it is just when your jaw hurts (WRONG)

But thanks for helping!
smile.png
She is calling the dentist monday. Im pretty sure i dont even have my wisdoms yet..

Ok, Kiddo. Cry if ya gotta! Good luck....Let us know how everything goes. I'm headin' to sleep. Try to make yourself relax before you head to bed. It might help you. Someone gave me good advice on that too.... Close your eyes and try to imagine drawing a rectangle. Inhale for two sides of it and exhale for two sides of it. Repeat
smile.png
Night!

I don't know what mine was from, but my jaw used to pop a lot, mostly when I was eating/chewing, but I could also pop it whenever I wanted to. It has stopped on its own so I don't know what the deal was. It did it for several years, I'd say at least 15.

I found out that if I held my mouth certain ways I could make a tune out of the pops like 'Mary had a little lamb'
hide.gif
It used to bug my parents and siblings.

Over the years it has pretty much quit popping. My jaw did lock up a time or two, but I was able to manipulate it until it released. I grind my teeth too. Now I have to wonder if having my wisdom teeth pulled was the time frame that it quit popping so much? I was 27 when I had the remaining 5 pulled (two on each side on the top).

Quote:
Well, thats what I was told by the dentist, this was also in the mid 80's to mid 90's, so i have no idea what they do now. But no, i have hard plastic night guards i have 2 that actually have a retainer built into them because of my teeth being misaligned. I dont wear anything any more, i grew tired of them and i hate waking up with dried drool on my cheek! LOL But they kept me from clinching as well, very smooth, slick surfaces the dentists >4 of them< have no idea how i ground a hole in them all.

A quick trip to a reputable, good massage therapist will eliminate that problem. First inquire about their success rate with your particular problem and their methods...then do yourself a favor. I don't have TMJ because I can fix myself when the problem occurs after lengthy dental work or whip-lash type injuries.

Back
Top Bottom