Stupid Neighbor Dog!!!! :(

Discussion in 'Predators and Pests' started by the Precious Ladies, May 10, 2011.

1. the Precious Ladies

the Precious Ladies Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 20, 2010
    Maryland
    when I came home from school today my dad said there was a 'problem'. The neighboor's dog was in our yard and scared off the chickens. So we found the 5 adult chickens in the forest, and three almost- adult ones in the deck. Problem is we were still missing 2 of the younger chickens. Then we found the one in the chicken coop, and I was still searching for Maria- the biggest of the younger chickens. Dad then came up to me and said " Do you want to know what really happened to Maria? Or believe that she just got lost?"
    Well, of course I knew what that ment. The neighbor's dog got Maria.
    [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]
    You know the ironic thing is? We only have one neighbor.
    And today was the first day in a long time that my dad let all the chickens out.
    I feel guilty of course, that we don't have a run for the chickens because we let them free range
    We are now looking into a run.

RIP:
    Silverwing~ August 2010 (unknown attaker)
    Isabell~ Jan. 2011 (suicide, was a baby who could fly but broke her neck falling off a table when I was at Ocean city and my great aunt and uncle were babysitting)
    Susan~ March 2011 ( falcon)

and now
    Maria~ May 11, 2011 ( neighbor dog)
    [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: May 10, 2011
  2. Hoss1975

Hoss1975 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 14, 2011
    north central Indiana
    It's so hard getting along with neighbors,that's why i don't have any.

3. philintheblank

philintheblank Out Of The Brooder

Feb 27, 2011
    Edmonton
    Sorry for your loss, i had 6 hens killed by a dog from down the street recently. my fiance found them when she got home from work, her favorite one-Pocket, was half dead all chewed up. Poor girl.
    I would go talk to the owner of the dog and let him now that his dog has blood on it now, they may not care, but something needs to be said about things like that.

Last edited: May 10, 2011
  4. dadof4

dadof4 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 30, 2008
    mississippi
    I too am infected with SNDS-stupid neighbor's dog syndrom. But I'm gonna cure it this fall.

5. BrattishTaz

BrattishTaz Roo Magnet

Jan 8, 2011
    Tampa Area, Florida
    [​IMG] I'm sorry you lost your Maria.

6. KlaHaYa Gardens

KlaHaYa Gardens Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 14, 2011
    *frowns a big sad frown on behalf of the Precious Ladies*

[​IMG]

7. Hot2Pot

Hot2Pot Fox Hollow Rabbitry

Feb 1, 2010
    West TN
    Sorry for your loss. Now you really have a problem, because the dog will be back. Usually they kill every chicken. We have had multiple dog attacks. Usually at night. We use welded wire since the dogs rip through chicken wire. I have a chicken killer dog next door, and I did tell the owner I would shoot it if it kills again. They keep it in their yard, but sometimes it escapes.It really sucks because I do like my neighbor,just hate the dog. He gets out during the day and makes a beeline for the nearest chickens, sometimes hers. But she does not let hers free range so thus far he has not killed any of her chickens. She is frustrated by him, since he gets wild and mean when he is outside his yard. Hoping she will get him neutered, even gave her money to get it done.
    Anyway, good luck with your problem.

8. harmona1

harmona1 Out Of The Brooder

Aug 27, 2010
    Indiana
    So sorry, sweetie. I just lost one of my favorite hens on Mother's Day to the neighbor's dog. Unfortunately it was on THEIR side of the fence, so I don't know how it happened (I cannot believe she went over the fence). Now I'm afraid to let my girls out of their pen, and they don't like that. [​IMG]

9. Mattemma

Mattemma Overrun With Chickens

Aug 12, 2009
    Sorry for your loss. I hope the neighbor learns from this and is able/willing to keep the dog out of your yard.If they don't then you know what needs to be your next move.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by