Stupid Neighbors and Noise level??

As long as your legal, I wouldn't worry about it too much. The police and animal control are way overburdened and way,way understaffed/underfunded as it is. They really don't like nosy, constantly complaining neighbors. If they are anything like they are in our area, they may take a report about a minor complaint but not really pursue it or just file it. If they are not legally obligated, they may not even do that anymore.

I would first find out what the HOA bylaws are on poultry. Then continue to research city and then county laws. The more information you have the better your odds are, if or when the complaint comes.

Well I'm located in Central Florida in West Orlando - so no, we are not allowed to have chickens... Our neighborhood is relatively quiet and everyone is super friendly. The only issue is the ONE neighbor UGH! I have already thought out the option of having to get rid of them if I do get caught and have my grandmother on standby just in case. I do NOT want to have to do that as I see them as pets! I'm also considering getting a lock on the gate fence that we can lock with a key just in case someone wants to be bold and look in the yard.. Any other suggestions or experiences with pesky neighbors?
Thank you so much for all your input!

Quote:
If they want to look into your yard they'll bring a small step ladder with them. Now, if you simply want to keep them from snooping around on your property then the lock is fine. I would think, from your earlier statements, that simply looking over the fence will satisfy them (and cause them to report you). As for them hearing the chicken sounds...it's not the volume that they will report you about it is simply the sound of the chickens...even if it's just a whisper. "Big brother" is watching us with the help of people like your neighbors.

Is not being allowed to have chickens a HOA rule or is it a city ordinance?...it seems that many cities are beginning to welcome the idea of their residents keeping chickens but I think most HOAs are still dragging their feet on the issue.

You may want to get proactive on getting chickens legalized in your area. You might want to check this BYC forum out Local Chicken Laws & Ordinances and how to change them .

Best wishes,
Ed

It sounds like you haven't had much opportunity to get to know your neighbors that you're worried about. What about having them over for dinner/ dessert/ brunch/ coffee/ poker night/ whatever? I know the thought of inviting people you don't like into your home can be unpleasant, but by the end of the night you may find it easier to talk to them. It's always easier to strike up a tough conversation if you've had positive interactions in the past. Even if you don't have the best evening ever with them over, you've made an investment in the relationship bank that you can withdraw if and when a tricky chicken conversation comes up.

+1 to Intheswamps advice. If it is a HOA rule then it might be more difficult. If it is a city law then you might be able to get it changed.

Myself, I'd go at it from the angle of self sufficiency. You will be the one responsible for everything that the chickens eat so you know that they will be healthy birds that are clear of antibiotics, hormones, etc...

Quote:
Your describing what I go through with our urban flock! I am up with the sun to let the chickens out every morning, and especially careful about keeping the chickens happy and quiet on weekends. I give eggs to the friendly neighbors that don't mind our chickens. For the ones that are not as friendly, I have given up trying to be friendly and no longer sharing. I keep my coop immaculately clean and the yard tidy. If they want to complain it could only be based on noise (probably the only thing I could get cited for.)

My chickens are legal, but the code specifies "no crowing fowl." My chickens are relatively quiet most of the time, but there is no way they are stealth chickens. My leghorn hen does get moody sometimes and makes an awful attempt at crowing. She comes inside the house until she is over it.

Out of the three neighborhood flocks, I know every single neighbor nextdoor to one of them (whether they were told or not) knows there are chickens next door just by the noise. I don't think once pullets start laying that there is any way to keep them from announcing their egg laying to everyone within 50 to 100 feet. I hear my neighbor's chickens across the street everyday with each egg laid. Her noisiest chickens have been an Australorp and a Buff Orpington.

Best Wishes.

Last edited:
Quote:
gig.gif
I must say, I like it!
thumbsup.gif

Don't get me started on HOA. There is no real reason to have them other than to increase the resale value on someone else's property.

I am glad we live in an older neighborhood where people don't make fusses overthings like clotheslines, vegetable gardens and chickens.

Back
Top Bottom