Stupid newbie question but need reassurance

Shugercube

Songster
Apr 17, 2022
Shenandoah Valley, Virginia
Ok this is a total over protective newbie chicken mama question, don’t laugh at me. Haha

So I ordered some 20% all flock at rural king and had my hubby pick it up after work since he works up that way (45 minute commute). He gets home, and they sent him with 22% meat bird crumbles. I have a mixed flock including ducks, with ages ranging from 3-12 weeks. Most of them are dual-purpose, and some are ornamental, but I’m not raising any specifically for meat- just eggs and birds to love on.

Is this going to be ok to feed my babies instead of the all flock?? The nutrition is mostly the same, with the biggest differences being higher protein, less vitamin D, and less calcium. I free offer them egg shells so I’m not overly worried about the lower calcium content, but I don’t want to make them sick or anything by feeding something that’s not really intended for very long-term and is mainly just to plump them up fast since they’re not gonna live long to need to be “healthy.”

I’m now out of their normal 20% crumble and don’t want to open a whole 50lb bag of the 22% if they shouldn’t really have it. But don’t want to make a whole 1.5 hour round trip just to get the right food if I don’t have to 🙃 Pics of nutrition info for reference. Am I just being overly worried? Do I need to go back and swap them out tomorrow morning?
658EF88B-FF8D-4EE9-BEDC-2C425ADFA7BA.png
BA1BB054-8521-4C67-B2DE-23A854F2BE3C.png

This, honestly I have less trouble with a higher protein level.
It seems to cut agression and I never see issues like feather picking or egg eating at all.
Honestly, some birds do better on higher protein.

There are some who think higher protein can contribute to angel wing in ducks, though. But I can't find any definitive/reliable sources to that effect.

Honestly, some birds do better on higher protein.
This, honestly I have less trouble with a higher protein level.
It seems to cut agression and I never see issues like feather picking or egg eating at all.

Interesting!!

There are some who think higher protein can contribute to angel wing in ducks, though. But I can't find any definitive/reliable sources to that effect.

I might just go grab some duck feed tomorrow for them then. I would hate to find out the hard way that there’s any truth to that.

Back
Top Bottom