Stupid overengineered washing machine RANT!!

A good thing to remember is this:

When too many pipes are connected for better flow,tis easier to clog it.

They make things to hard to home repair so they can make money off of you again....and again....and again......

Yeah, we do know that they will try to make money off of you.

Same for cars, getting to be fewer and fewer DIYers doing their own repairs on their own car rather than just doing the DIY oil change and spark plugs.

It seems like it is the going trademark for companies to make it harder for DIYers to do anything with any product they buy.

The trouble with cars these days is that are computer controlled. Remember the old days of trying to adjust the timing? What a wonderful hit and miss affair it was. Can't do it now. Computer says 'No'!

It's a relatively fancy Maytag. Wife won it at a women's expo so at least I didn't have to buy it. Repair guy said this pump issue is common so I kept the old one to see if I can McGuyver it with an impeller from an old sump pump, it looks to be the same size, just different connection hardware.

Wish I hadn't replaced the 1970's whirlpool one that was in the house when we moved in. It was powered by an electric motor still produced by GE standard to several models and common belts I can get at the hardware store. Used a lot of water but worked well and quickly. Sold it to my buddy for fifty bucks.

When it's time to replace, I'll probably go that route, look for a vintage machine that still works well. Don't care how much water it uses, well and septic here.

I love my HE washer, but I hate the Bosch we currently have. It's got some issues where it won't rinse sometimes. BUT, we have to have the Bosch guy come out to look at it. There is as far as we could find.... only ONE licensed in MI to fix it, and he's several hours away. So if we figure labor, travel fuel and expenses, plus the cost of parts they have to provide. We may as well just get a new washer.

We bought a brand new super duper hyped up HE washer on sale. It was supposed to save on energy and water. I put the clothes in exactly as the directions said, being careful to not have anything over the wash plate. I put in the proper HE soap in the quantity specified and turned the washer on. It whirred and hummed while it sensed the size and distribution of the load. It did everything except clean the clothes. Eventually I found it did a fair job if I ran the clothes through the wash cycle twice and then once more full cycle with no soap to get them properly rinsed. I never did figure out how it was supposed to save energy if I had to run each load through three times. We made Sears take that one back and we got a low tech washer with an old fashioned agitator and no fancy features. It does everything a washer is supposed to. Like get the clothes clean.

I bought an energy efficient piece of doo doo as well. Learned right away about saving water and still having dirty clothes while enjoying the benefits of an 1.5 hour wash cycle (there are none) and wondering how they justify the extra electrical usage. It crapped out after 6 months of usage.

I bought the wringer washer from Lehmans and like it just fine, but you do have to babysit the laundry to get it done. The problem with it however, is a poorly designed agitator.(doesn't agitate the clothes enough) Need to see if another one of better design can be salvaged somewhere to replace it.

It is a good washing machine for summer as you can park it out on the porch with a garden hose, or even out in the garden and recycle the water while gardening and doing laundry at the same time. Same washing machine also washes carrots and beets for pickling. Gets them super clean.

Also most who stop by want to do your laundry for you because they want to play with the wringer.(solves the baby sitting issue). The same people also enjoy hanging clothes on a clothes line.

Moral of the story is: invite people over on wash day. Try not to invite the same ones too often as you don't want them to figure it out or get bored.

I bought an energy efficient piece of doo doo as well. Learned right away about saving water and still having dirty clothes while enjoying the benefits of an 1.5 hour wash cycle (there are none) and wondering how they justify the extra electrical usage. It crapped out after 6 months of usage.

I bought the wringer washer from Lehmans and like it just fine, but you do have to babysit the laundry to get it done. The problem with it however, is a poorly designed agitator.(doesn't agitate the clothes enough) Need to see if another one of better design can be salvaged somewhere to replace it.

It is a good washing machine for summer as you can park it out on the porch with a garden hose, or even out in the garden and recycle the water while gardening and doing laundry at the same time. Same washing machine also washes carrots and beets for pickling. Gets them super clean.

Also most who stop by want to do your laundry for you because they want to play with the wringer.(solves the baby sitting issue). The same people also enjoy hanging clothes on a clothes line.

Moral of the story is: invite people over on wash day. Try not to invite the same ones too often as you don't want them to figure it out or get bored.

lau.gif
I'll come over and use an old fashoined hand washer with a washboard and a wringer attached to an old washtub.Put out my tighty whities on yer clothesline
wee.gif

Anyways I was in a fix as you.the motor monitor was messing up on our washer,so as a diy'er I tore it apart.All the plastic do-dads fell out everywhere!! turnings nob here,tension spring there. seems there was a flaw in one of the clips on the side making this motor not monitor the water outflow properly.

All said and done I got it all together perfectly,without spare pieces left. *whew! and re-installed it and its still working,maybe even better than before.

also I have a 1990 ford f150. I like not having a computerized gizmo in my truck. basic and easy to repair.

so for me,no more computerized contrapitions,gizmos,or whatnots for me.

To quote my granddaddy, "Never trust anything more complicated than a knife and fork!"

Now for some useful advice; Buy from Lowe's. Put it on a Lowe's credit card. Get the extended warranty. I've found that Lowe's is extremely helpful when it comes to warranty claims. If you put it on a Lowe's card you don't even have to keep the receipt.
smile.png

I have owned my HE front-loading Whirlpool Duet machine for about 10 years now. The machine can really reek if I don't leave the door open between loads but it generally does a good job washing. Cycles are long

I have been able to do all the repairs myself. There are many websites with detailed repair instructions for the various error codes. I just leave the access panel off the machine now as that is often more dificult than the repair itself. I wish I had purchased the drawer unit for underneath so it would be easier to access and so there would be room for a container to drain the machine into when doing a pump repair. my cabinets are too low to add them now.

Back
Top Bottom