stupid possums

Discussion in 'Predators and Pests' started by woodmore chicks, Dec 19, 2012.

1. woodmore chicks

woodmore chicks Out Of The Brooder

Dec 3, 2011
    Quote:
    [​IMG]i have a possum problem i tried putting out a trap but he kept [​IMG]eating the bait out off the back without setting the trap off next i put some rat poison out but my dog ate that and died [​IMG]and i do not know whether or not the possum had anything to dowith this but 1 of my chickens can not even stand up even though she tries as hard as she can and i know this might gross some people out [​IMG] but 1 has 1 of her eyes is very swollen i feel so bad for them both i am going to take them to the vet .[​IMG] STUPID POSSUMS[​IMG] [​IMG][​IMG]

2. Cowgirl71

Cowgirl71 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 5, 2010
    Missouri Ozarks
    I'm sorry to hear about your dog, that must of been tough. [​IMG]

I have a friend that's REALLY good with guns. He pops off soda cans at 300 yards with a .22 rifle. Whenever I have a predator problem I ask for his help, since he lives very close. It usually doesn't take more than 2-3 nights of going out after dark with a gun before he sees the predator (usually a possum) and takes care of it for me. And then I bake him something as a thank you and everything's all good. [​IMG]

3. Mattemma

Mattemma Overrun With Chickens

Aug 12, 2009
    Sorry abou your dog! Shooting is good.Try covering the trap all around except the entrance.Try some conibear traps(set at night only).I saw videos on the bigger ones that are placed into a tidy cat litter bucket,.Videos on how to at you tube.

I have been able to catch my 40+ coons and possums through luck of finding a hole in the fence where they all like to sneak through.It is like a highway for them. I put logs all around my trap,and they just go right in!

4. jak2002003

jak2002003 Overrun With Chickens

Oct 24, 2009
    Thailand
    What problem exactly is the possum causing?

So far you poisoned your own dog.

Your chickens swollen eyes are nothing to do with the possum.

I am sorry you had to learn the hard way about using poisons. You have to make sure only the animal you are targeting will consume it.

As for you chickens with a swollen eye, that may be a respiratory infection.

If you do take her to the vet, I recommend you treat your whole flock, not just the one hen, because once one has a disease they usually all catch it - like humans and the cold.

Good luck, and so sorry about your dog.

If you use a covered run and secure coop, the possum will be no problem to your birds.

5. howfunkyisurchicken

howfunkyisurchicken Overrun With Chickens

Apr 11, 2011
    Tn
    Keep using your trap and ditch any poison. Next time you set the trap, dig a hole under it and put the bait inside. Then place the trap over the bait so its positioned just behind the trigger. Anchor the trap to the ground. With my have-a-hearts, I have to set the trigger just on the edge or it takes alot to set them off. Sorry about your dog, this is exactly why I don't use poison in my yard. Good luck.

6. zazouse

zazouse Overrun With Chickens

Sep 7, 2009
    Southeast texas
    Put your bait in a baby food jar and poke holes in the lid and place it back on the bait filled jar, place it behind the trigger plate and nothing can get the bait unless it can open the jar.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by