stupid question about grass seed

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by henryhoe, Oct 3, 2011.

1. henryhoe

henryhoe Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 9, 2011
    My girls run is all muddy now with no grass left at all, if i was to put grass seed in would the girls eat it, would it be harmful to them?

2. florida lee

florida lee Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 6, 2011
    Morriston,fl
    My lawn is thin so I let it go to seed , my chickens seem to love the seeds and eat all the time (when available). I think if you put it down they will eat it.

3. henryhoe

Aug 9, 2011
    is the seed harmful to them??

4. gritsar

gritsar Cows, Chooks & Impys - OH MY!

Nov 9, 2007
    SW Arkansas
    Quote:I doubt that the seeds would be harmful to them unless it is treated with chemicals or other substances to help it grow; you'd have to read the bag.

I do think it would be a waste of money. The chickens would likely gobble it up as fast as you can put it down.

5. haemony

haemony Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 21, 2011
    WV
    It's not great for them to eat a lot of grass seed and it's expensive for you. I found it was pointless to seed grass where chickens can get at the seeds. They just ate them all.

I made a cover so that I could seed parts of my lawn safe from chickens. I made a simple wood frame, several of them, only about 4 inches hig ~ you can even use canvas stretchers like they sell at an art supply store ~ and covered the top with leftover hardware cloth or tight weave deer fencing from their run. I place these cloth side up on an area and seed underneath. Then the grass is shaded but gets sun and is easy to water. The seeds and sprouting grass blades are protected from chickens, squirrels, wild birds and foot traffic. It actually grows better under there. Grass patch is established in about a week or so. Moves the frame to the next area and repeat. Works great. The chickens just walk over the covers without disturbing the grass.

My frames are about 2 x 4 feet and 6 inches high. I use them to start seeds for everything everywhere. For grass they need be no more than a inch high (so canvas stretchers or old picture frames will work fine) and they can be any dimension you like that is easy for you to manage.

Last edited: Feb 24, 2012
  6. henryhoe

Aug 9, 2011
    thanks for the advice

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by