Stupid question about hatching in egg turners

Chicken Fruit

Songster
10 Years
Feb 25, 2009
Echo Homestead
um... Can I just let the eggs hatch IN the turner cups, or are you supposed to turn the turner off and take the eggs out at some point and let them hatch on a flat surface?

I attempted to hatch leaving the turner in and the chicks get stuck. I am too afraid one will actually get wedged and die so I take the eggs out on day 18 and put them upright in styrofoam egg containers. This keeps the heat in, the eggs from rolling around and disorienting the chick and clean up of the egg shells is much easier.

Quote:
I have always taken my turners out on the evenings of day 18 and laid the eggs down on their sides on the wire for them to hatch out. Leaving a turn in even if you stop the turner from turning can or could cause the chicks to get caught up in the racks and either die or cripple them. Just because someone else does this doesn't mean it's a good practice.

See, not such a stupid question after all. I didn't know the answer and I want to start hatching after the new year. Go info.

Yeah I honestly had no clue either. It seemed like you wouldnt want to, but I had never heard either way.

So just take them out late day 18 and leave them. They need no further turning from then on, right?

Quote:
No you don't turn the eggs after taking them out of the turner on the evening of day 18. You candle one last time if you want to, fill your water wells to bump the humidity to the correct range for the last 3 days 60 to 70%, lay them on their sides on the wire rack and no opening the bator for the last 3. After you take them out of the turner and take it out it takes the incubator a few hours to come back up to the correct temps and humidity sometimes so don't panic. Have lots of patience for them to hatch out on their own. they can take 24 hours and longer from pipping the egg to zipping out of the shells.

i don't have turner, turn it manually with hand.

no more turning at 19-21.
smile.png

Back
Top Bottom