stupid question but..Do chickens try to protect their "people"?

I certainly believe they do, in that you are in important part of her flock....a very important part of it....My big Cuckoo Marans rooster is very protective of me, non-aggressive to any people at all, sweet and gentle as could be....but I have this horrid little silkie rooster in the yard, Snowball, who just loves to pounce when you least expect it....and Mr. Cuckoo will come running from as far as 100 feet away and nail him when he does it!! It's something to see this huge rooster come at a dead run, all riled up, neck feathers flared, wings outstretched, and jump and tackle that stupid Snowball! It cracks me up! Then they go their separate ways like nothing happened, and Snowball leaves me alone the rest of the day.
Yes, I believe chickens are very protective of their humans, their flock.

yes..thats true...they really do enrich our lives(well mine any ways)...
smile.png
..thanks,Wendy

..tfpets...well....i'm glad to know that i'm not the only one that has experienced this...
big_smile.png
..my gut was telling me she was protecting me..but..i just wasnt sure..never having had chickens before...thanks for the reply..Wendy

our alpha roo,Papa,knocked a young,mean roo(no longer with us) off my DH's leg when the roo attacked DH as he was carrying two buckets of water to them.

I love that story redhen. It does sound like she has taken head honcho and she considers you one of her flock. We had a RIR named Grannie when I was growing up and she ruled the roost too! She would take walks with my parents around the block after dinner. They get attached to people too!

I do believe he was protecting you. He knows who takes good care of him and the flock. Your just seen as part of the group. My Roo Sultan, did the same sort of thing, when a hawk landed in the tree above the run. He let out his 'danger' call, started running the girls for cover, then runs back to me and jumps up and down on my feet!!! His way of telling me to get up and run!!! Little does he know,,,,the run is covered by a large net. The hawk can't get to them,,it has tried and failed,,,,but you got to love the Roo that makes darn sure everyone is in the hen house,,,,,,
D.gif
D.gif
big_smile.png
big_smile.png

I think my Roo protected me from my son. I was tossing bread and seed at my son to get the chickes to chase him (yeah I know evil mother
wink.png
) Then my son started throwing the mix at me and that's when my Roo, Ralphie, went after him. Every time my boy would toss a piece of bread at me the rooster would try to kick him. It was funny (yes, evil again
tongue.png
) My Ralphie lets me pick him up and cuddle him, he's loves me and even dances for me. I think he thinks I'm one of his ladies
lol.png

aww!!..i love to hear all these stories!!....thanks guys for giving them to me..appreciate it!...
smile.png
..Wendy

Back
Top Bottom