Stupid question

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by njones, Dec 3, 2010.

1. njones

njones Out Of The Brooder

May 31, 2009
    Wisconsin
    I know this question is probably stupid, but I am wondering about this for awhile, so I thought I would ask all of you experts. Why are some of my eggs really smooth and some are so rough that I wonder how the poor hen isn't in pain. Is this normal? If not, what am I doing wrong? Thank you in advance for your answers.[​IMG]

2. buzymom13

buzymom13 I run the Alien Chicken Asylum

Apr 20, 2010
    [​IMG]

I am of the opinion that no question asked in total sincerity is "stupid". (Also because I ask a lot of questions usually too) LOL But it's my opinion that the smoothness and characteristics of eggs depend on the breed/age and diet of the chicken. Some young pullets or older hens will give you strange eggs just because their systems are "hiccuping" or haven't worked all the kinks out. I also think that sometimes it can be too much calcium or not enough. My pullets eggs depend on their diet alot too. Sometimes I get rougher eggs if they haven't gotten their normal treats everyday or if I give more fruit than seed treats.

Hope that helps some. As long as it's not a n individual doing the same problem over and over I don't think it's cause for concern.

[​IMG]

3. Qi Chicken

Qi Chicken Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 3, 2009
    I have a barred rock hen that consistently lays ugly eggs. Bumpy and splotchy. I think that is just her way. Or maybe her ugly eggs are a window into her soul. We call her Ms. Nastypants.

4. Jajika

Jajika Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 24, 2007
    Northern California
    As Wes in Texas always said, "The only stupid question is the one that is not asked." I totally agree with him.

If I had been afraid to ask questions eight years ago when I first got chickens and discovered this board, my chickens never would have survived my ignorance.

Regarding smooth and bumpy eggs. In my experience eggs are always unique to chickens and breeds and just their individual nature. I've had many breeds and many bumpy eggs. Can't tell you anything that appeared unusual about the birds.

If they seem healthy, let it ride.

Geri

5. Happy Chooks

Happy Chooks Moderator Staff Member

Jul 9, 2009
    Northern CA
    My Coop
    Bumpy eggs can also be excess calcium.

6. abhaya

abhaya Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 5, 2010
    cookeville, tn
    she is probably getting too much calsium but that will not hurt the quality or taste of the egg.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by