Stupid yolk question in...3...2...1...

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by PAChickenChick, Sep 16, 2008.

1. PAChickenChick

PAChickenChick Chillin' With My Peeps

May 4, 2008
    ok..so my hens free range and we have TONS of crickets that keep them super busy.

My Daughter asked me a question yesterday and I didn't know the answer...I think I do...but I'd hate to tell her and then be proven wrong...so here goes...

When a chicken eats a cricket (or whatever) is there ANY chance that a part of the cricket could wind up in the yolk?

I did tell her that first it goes into the crop where it should get ground up and then would go into the stomach where it should get disolved and then pooped out....that the yolk was something different....but she asked me if I was absolutely, positively, double-dog sure....

Double-dog sure is a biggie...so I figured I better check in with the experts......

2. Mrs MIA

Mrs MIA Chick Magnet

Mar 3, 2008
    [​IMG]
    Tell her she's safe...

3. MissPrissy

MissPrissy Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

May 7, 2007
    Forks, Virginia
    The cricket would go into the crop then pass through to the gizzard where it is ground up and passes on to the intestines where nutrients are absorbed and the waste is exited via the vent.

The eggs are created in another system in the hen. There is no way pieces of cricket could end up in an egg.

Tell your daughter she is safe.

[​IMG]

4. JennsPeeps

JennsPeeps Rhymes with 'henn'

Jun 14, 2008
    South Puget Sound
    It's no more likely than swallowing a watermelon seed will mean a pregnant woman will give birth to a baby that has watermelons in it.

5. Buff Hooligans

Buff Hooligans Scrambled

Jun 11, 2007
    But, just to mess with her head, eat one of the eggs, then later that day start chirping like a cricket...

6. eggzettera

eggzettera Chillin' With My Peeps

[​IMG] I like how you think Buff [​IMG]

7. Rte.66_chicks

Rte.66_chicks Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 22, 2008
    Kingman, AZ
    Quote:I was thinking to put a cricket leg in her scrambled eggs, but that would just be plain wrong! She would never eat eggs again!

8. debilorrah

debilorrah The Great Guru of Yap Premium Member

You just have to mess with the kid. I remember for days I had my son thinking he would grow a watermelon vine out of his belly button. He was so worried he carried tweezers around in case he saw any growth. [​IMG]

9. MagsC

MagsC Queen Of Clueless

Jul 27, 2008
    Minnesota
    [​IMG] Its okay to tease kids a bit. I love the senses of humor on this site![​IMG]

10. PAChickenChick

PAChickenChick Chillin' With My Peeps

May 4, 2008
    Quote:Oh man....as funny as that is...if you knew my Daughter, she'd NEVER eat an egg again.

My 16yr. Son told my 11yr. Daughter and 10yr. Son that mayonaise was made by grinding up fish bones... (yeah, I dunno where he came up with that one either) but needless to say it took 2 years to get them to eat tuna sandwiches with mayo...or any other thing with mayo on it. I read them the ingredients...even made homemade mayo right in front of them....didn't matter....it was STILL made with fish bones, I just didn't add them.

So...no chirping for me...hahahahaha

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by