1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

stupid ????

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by ali, Sep 3, 2007.

1. ali

ali Out Of The Brooder

Aug 29, 2007
    newalla, ok
    how soon do you need to collect eggs for eating? can you wait 6 days find out if their fertile first and still eat them or do you have to collect eating eggs right away?

2. Stormhorse23

Stormhorse23 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 22, 2007
    Indiana
    I think its ok to wait. As long as their not incubated. Not sure. Maybe an expert will bless us with their presence here. I want to know too. Interesting question.

3. DuckLady

DuckLady Administrator Staff Member

Jan 11, 2007
    Washington State
    Do you mean incubate them 6 days and then eat them? I wouldn't, but I am sure some do.
    Otherwise, just eat them. Even if they are fertile, there is nothing living until incubation starts. They go into a sort of suspended animation when they are laid, until the hen lays a clutch and starts to set. Only then do the cells start to do their magic and create a life.

4. Pine Grove

Pine Grove Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 18, 2007
    Lakeland, Ga
    Years back I read a book, It said that the hatcheries( back in the old days) would candle their eggs at 3 days and sell the infertiles to the bakeries..

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by