Styrofoam Coop?

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by Ryoohkey, Nov 6, 2014.

1. Ryoohkey

Ryoohkey Chillin' With My Peeps

May 27, 2013
    Has anyone every tried making a coop out of styrofoam. I work at a pharmacy and we receive tons of styrofoam squares normally measuring 2 ft by 3 ft and we just trash them, I've taken a few of the chest we get and made some awesome incubators and nesting boxes from them but never really thought about making a coop, any thoughts or ideas would be great

2. The ChickenKing

The ChickenKing Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 24, 2014
    NY
    No, first off because the chickens would probably eat it, and second because it would be a terrible building material for anything outside

3. mrs buff laced

mrs buff laced Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 11, 2013
    Riza 4
    Well the thing about making a coop out of styrofoam is that it would get dirty, with the chickens being in the Styrofoam coop a lot may cause them to peck at the Styrofoam and can be unhealthy for them. A coop needs plenty of air flow I don't think a Styrofoam coop would suffice. It could also get blown away in a bad storm...As well as make a big mess in your yard if the chickens do peck at it. Incubators and nesting boxes are great ways to recycle that left over Styrofoam, but a coop probably wouldn't be the best idea.

4. HighStreetCoop

HighStreetCoop Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 28, 2014
    Oakland, CA
    My Coop
    I'm picturing how quickly a raccoon would dig through Styrofoam ...

5. mrs buff laced

mrs buff laced Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 11, 2013
    Riza 4
    Hmmm very true... Around here coyotes are a big problem.... To them it would be like...hey they're some chickens out there in the open!! And they're in a to go box!!! Awesome!
    :(Yeah that wouldn't be good.... [​IMG]

6. Hokum Coco

Hokum Coco Overrun With Chickens

Dec 6, 2012
    New Brunswick,Canada
    It would be excellent as an insulator of course. With that in mind you would have to protect the inside from the chickens and the outside from predators.You would have to cover both inside and out with something of integrity.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by