styrofoam incubator

I'm going to be borrowing my friends styrofoam incubator before I buy my own, just to try it out, and it's a styrofoam incubator. I have never used an incubator, just let my hens do it, so I'm not sure about the humidity. I know the temp should be 99.5 to 100 and I have to turn the eggs at least 3 times a day. So, what should I keep the humidity at? The humidity in my house is around 20%. I will be doing most likely 10-13 eggs, mostly bantams, and I will be setting them on the sixth of march.

@AnnikaLF I have 13 eggs in a styro right now that are on day 14- I will keep y'all posted on how it turns out.
fl.gif

-Banti

Last edited:
Eggs are in lockdown nervous as a new parent lol

Good luck!
Mine are going into lockdown soon too, but I don't have very high hopes... I think only 1 out of 15 eggs is alive.
sad.png

8 are probable clears, 2 have the start of something that looks like a blood ring, and 4 got scrambled.
I am having strange problems with ruptured yolks in un-shipped eggs.
-Banti

Last edited:
Good luck!
Mine are going into lockdown soon too, but I don't have very high hopes... I think only 1 out of 15 eggs is alive. :(
8 are probable clears, 2 have the start of something that looks like a blood ring, and 4 got scrambled.
I am having strange problems with ruptured yolks in un-shipped eggs.
-Banti

We have been having trouble because the breed has a lethal gene that will cause some problems. I'm staying hopeful
1f600.png
. Best of luck to you.

what has your success rate been hatching with a styrofoam incubator? Ive got 3 Japanese Bantams in mine they seem to be doing good all developing well I turn them 3 times a day the temp is staying at 99.5 and the humidity is between 50% to 55%. Is there anything i should be doing different?
fl.gif

What day are you on? Your humidity seems a little high to me. Have you compared your air cells to the diagrams on this site for days 7 and 14? I usually run mine at about 35% until lockdown. Then I raise it to 75%.

Hatch rates with styro bators can be great. I use one. I have a Hova Bator 1588 Genesis and my hatch rates run in the 90%s.

Good luck!!
XS 2

I'm going to be borrowing my friends styrofoam incubator before I buy my own, just to try it out, and it's a styrofoam incubator. I have never used an incubator, just let my hens do it, so I'm not sure about the humidity. I know the temp should be 99.5 to 100 and I have to turn the eggs at least 3 times a day. So, what should I keep the humidity at? The humidity in my house is around 20%. I will be doing most likely 10-13 eggs, mostly bantams, and I will be setting them on the sixth of march.

We have been having trouble because the breed has a lethal gene that will cause some problems. I'm staying hopeful
1f600.png
. Best of luck to you.

I'd chime in, but kuchchicks and I use the same method....lol

Styro bators, if you are not in a high altitude, generally have better success if you use a low humidity incubation method and watch air cells to know how to adjust. I use a Little Giant 9200, one of the most hated brands and I have excellent hatches, healthy chicks, no leg or navel issues. I use this method: http://letsraisechickens.weebly.com...anuals-understanding-and-controlling-humidity

I have two Black Japanese Bantams that were just "thrown in" as extras from eggs I bought from a girl locally. I wasn't sure if I would get anything either due to the lethal gene, but both hatched out just fine. I was hoping I'd have a pair, but I ended up with two girls....lol

Back
Top Bottom