Styrofoam Incubator

Oh, Okay.
smile.png

Ok hit another snag I only have the one 12v adapter but how can I wire the 12v to the pc fan to the thermostat and the light bulb at the same time? Or do I need to just go and buy another 12v adapter for the fan?Heres what I think will work any thoughts?

112458_incubator_control.jpg

Last edited:
You only need one adapter, and that's for the fan, providing that it's a 12v fan. You need 120volt power from your house plugs to operate the light. If you use an extension cord, cut one of the wires, and hook it up like you have it in your drawing above on the thermostat and hook both wires to your light.

You will have the red and black in your drawing going from the adapter to the fan. Then you will have the black and white from your house power going to the thermostat and the light

Here, I will help fix this little "Snag". Well, the adapter will only power the fan, but the light will require the 110 volts. Here are some diagrams. I hope they are Great Help.
70328_incubator_heating_diagram.jpg
70328_fan_wiring_diagram.jpg

My thoughts after building a few of these would be firstly, DO NOT use a 12v power supply, I would use 5-6v, ideally 6v but no more, you want to move air, not create a breeze. Also, use a Ranco for your temp control, they're under $50, sell for $40 used and will keep your temps SPOT ON! I get a 100% hatch rate with my home made hatcher and a Ranco. For another $5 shipped you can get on Newegg and buy a fan with a light in it, SOOO much nicer. Here is a link to some of this same info with more detail:

https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=600461

Last edited:
Quote:
Thanks for the tip the adapter I'm using can switch to different voltages so I'm covered there. I just wired it to the fan tonite and it worked
smile.png
. However I came upon a snag while hooking up the Thermos to the lightbulb. The lightbulb did come on for a couple of seconds ( I'm using a 25 W) but blacked out soon after and left the bulb with a milky glaze and the wires inside the bulb have broken off. I'm assuming the voltage I'm using is too high? I'm using the cord that came with the lamp assembly kit.

Back
Top Bottom