styrofoam incubators and a declinging hatch rate

Seramas And More

In the Brooder
Jun 3, 2020
I have read some where that there is a thing where Styrofoam incubators have a declining hatch rate and I'm experiencing this to ,in my most recent hatch I had 18 eggs and only got 2 chicks (the breed was serama) these where ordered eggs but most of them where formed just died along the way but even with my own eggs they have been decling I was wondering if anybody else has had this problem and how to fix it

MGG

🌷 Spring is in the air 🌷
Premium Feather Member
Feb 7, 2020
I have read some where that there is a thing where Styrofoam incubators have a declining hatch rate and I'm experiencing this to ,in my most recent hatch I had 18 eggs and only got 2 chicks (the breed was serama) these where ordered eggs but most of them where formed just died along the way but even with my own eggs they have been decling I was wondering if anybody else has had this problem and how to fix it
Welcome to BYC! I don't have any Styrofoam incubators so I'm not much help, sorry. Hopefully someone else will chime in. Where did you hear that? Did you have in a calibrated thermometer? Was the temp at 102 the whole time? How many times did you turn them? What was the humidity at? Just trying to eliminate other possibilities.

Seramas And More

In the Brooder
Jun 3, 2020
I cant remember where I read it I think it was somewhere on here it said that there my be bacteria living in the Styrofoam I had a thermometer and a hydrometer and at first I ran it at 102 but once I got a fan I ran it at 99.5 I turned them 3 times a day the humidity was around 40 to 50% then on lockdown it went to around 70% all of this was pretty consistent for my hatches except for when I got the fan but it didn't help ,my hatch rate was still going down now I'm trying to get a egg turner to see if that was the problem

Top Bottom