Styrofoam Incubators Club

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by beetandsteet, Mar 18, 2016.

1. Hovabator

43 vote(s)
    34.7%
  2. Little Giant--manual controls

14 vote(s)
    11.3%
  3. Little Giant--digital controls

39 vote(s)
    31.5%
  4. Farm innovators

28 vote(s)
    22.6%
  1. BertandMary

BertandMary Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 24, 2013
    Fayetteville, NC
    ok thanks

2. lucyludy

lucyludy Just Hatched

Mar 22, 2016
    This is a great thread and thank you all for such great advice! I have a Hovabator styrofoam incubator. My very first try was a great success but 3 tries after haven't been at all. This last hatch I only had 1 hatch and she was 2 days early so I'm confused. I'm trying the dry start now and marked the air bubble to see which ones grow. Fingers crossed.

3. beetandsteet

beetandsteet Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 21, 2015
    SE Texas
    I usually leave both out after day 18 for ventilation

4. beetandsteet

Aug 21, 2015
    SE Texas
    [​IMG]
    Hovabators out of any of the styrofoam incubators are the best quality. A chick hatching 2 days early can indicate too high incubation temperature. You may want to check your thermometers and temperature gauge. Also, a large number of early quitters (blood rings) can indicate improper temperature. You may want to keep records this time on daily temperature/humidity highs and lows, so you can see what goes wrong. Have you also considered the quality of your eggs? My own eggs from my backyard have a 60-100% hatch rate, while some eggs from the neighbor down the street have around a 30% hatch rate--in the same incubator, same hatch. Shipped eggs have a lower hatch rate also. If you're using your own flocks eggs, you may want to evaluate the chickens' diet and condition. Also, how the eggs are stored prior to incubation is important. Don't refrigerate them, and don't let them get above 70 degrees. Don't let them sit before incubation longer than 7 days (to get the best hatch rate).
    Please let us know how your hatch goes! :)

5. beetandsteet

Aug 21, 2015
    SE Texas
    LOL me too! [​IMG]

6. beetandsteet

Aug 21, 2015
    SE Texas
    I'd say zip-tie it to a small board that's the same height as the eggs. Good luck with your hatch! :)

7. beetandsteet

Aug 21, 2015
    SE Texas
    Hope you have a better hatch this time! You're right, when embryos are young they are a whole lot more sensitive to temperature spikes. Make sure you don't put the water in the water wells--if you add too much there's no easy way to take the water out! I use the bottom of a solo cup, cut to about 2-3 inches tall for pre-lockdown humidity. With the dry method you want to aim for about 30-35% humidity.

1 person likes this.
  8. lucyludy

lucyludy Just Hatched

Mar 22, 2016

Thank you! Temp could be the issue as it fluctuates. I'm monitoring it now like the suggestions with other thermometers inside to make sure the readings are accurate. 99.5 is the norm but it goes 99.0 to 100 here and there. I've been using my own eggs from my chickens and their diet has always been good - but I'll look into maybe there's something I'm missing. Thanks again!

9. BertandMary

BertandMary Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 24, 2013
    Fayetteville, NC
    [​IMG] first pip day 20 using LG 9300 still air. It was one right under the heating element so it stands to reason that it would be first. Was a bit of a surprise. We expected tomorrow, which is day 21. Hopefully we will get an April Fools [​IMG]

Last edited: Apr 1, 2016
    1 person likes this.
  10. beetandsteet

Aug 21, 2015
    SE Texas
    Awesome!! The chicks are on their way!!!! :)

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by