Styrofoam Incubators Club

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by beetandsteet, Mar 18, 2016.

1. Hovabator

43 vote(s)
    34.7%
  2. Little Giant--manual controls

14 vote(s)
    11.3%
  3. Little Giant--digital controls

39 vote(s)
    31.5%
  4. Farm innovators

28 vote(s)
    22.6%
  1. Papachook

Papachook Out Of The Brooder

Jun 1, 2015
    near Salem Oregon
    I have a 9300 with added fan and automatic turner. I am starting with 11 eggs. What would you all think would be the optimal position/location for the eggs. Closer to the heater or further away. I was already thinking that I wouldn't put any against the sides. I was thinking also that it might be best to space them one position away from each other for maximum air flow. Do you agree?

2. raisingdaisies

raisingdaisies Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 25, 2016
    Thanks, that's what we are doing this time, in a small bowl with a sponge under the heating element. We're trying to keep it around 30, but it keeps dropping to 25, so I may have to add another small bowl. Dang dry air! The solo cup is a good idea!

Last edited: Apr 1, 2016
  3. raisingdaisies

Mar 25, 2016
    We didn't put any right under since we have the egg turner and it gets too close to the heater IMO. Especially with our spiking temps :/

4. BertandMary

BertandMary Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 24, 2013
    Fayetteville, NC
    we are rookies and learning. We bought a fan kit for our next attempt

Last edited: Apr 1, 2016
    1 person likes this.
  5. MeepBeep

MeepBeep Chillin' With My Peeps

I would suggest making a height extension ring as I outlined in post 22 of this thread, small investment big returns, as it does wonders for balancing out hot spots...

6. BertandMary

Feb 24, 2013
    Fayetteville, NC
    That's a great idea. Thanks. We saw the thermostat idea you shared on another thread and were planning on doing that for the next batch too.

7. MeepBeep

MeepBeep Chillin' With My Peeps

Both ideas work well, the 1/2" foam is about $10 for a 4 foot by 8 foot sheet at most hardware stores, a little 5 minute epoxy and the you can whip up a trim ring for cheap and still have a lot of foam left over for other projects or to hook up a friend in a similar situation...

1 person likes this.
  8. raisingdaisies

Mar 25, 2016

I told my girls we will do this when we do chicken eggs in the fall. We probably won't incubate after this batch until post summer heat. Just too hot for the wee ones and our house is not big enough to have them indoors.

9. BertandMary

Feb 24, 2013
    Fayetteville, NC
    we are hooked, no matter the outcome of this first batch. We have room indoors and a friend with land who will let us keep excess birds on his property in exchange for laying hens that he can call his own. We are studying genetics and breeding so that we can do Jubilees and BLRW. Of course, we'll keep a flock of hens and a single rooster as allowed in city limits. Best of luck.

10. raisingdaisies

Mar 25, 2016
    Nice! We are outside city limits so I only have a limit on space...eventually. You can keep a lot of birds on an acre, right? [​IMG] My husband will probably tell me no more before my space does!

1 person likes this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by